Cast nets

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by JoshB, Jun 29, 2006.

1. JoshB

JoshB New Member

State:
    Ohio
    gonna get a cast net tonight. should i get the three foot or the 5 foot. I've never thrown a net before. thanks fellas

Josh

2. JoshB

JoshB New Member

State:
    Ohio
    gonna get a cast net tonight. should i get the three foot or the 5 foot. I've never thrown a net before. thanks fellas

Josh

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Most cast nets come with a pictorial page showin ya how to do it. My advice is practice in the yard before ya hit the water. LOL! Good luck!

4. Boogan1

Boogan1 New Member

State:
    Carrollton, MO
    Get the 5 foot, not that much harder to throw but you will catch more bait. Boog

5. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    if i were you i would start off with a small one and progress into a larger one everyone has there own way of throwing one and trust me very seldom does someone just pick one up and start throwing one perfect

6. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    There isn't a lot of difference in the ease of casting a 3' or 5' net. Both are simple and easy to learn. I would suggest going with the 5' net.

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Recently bought the 3.5 foot cast net. I'm happy with it, catches all the shad I need for bait, plus got a nice size gasper gou the other day, about 1.5 pounds. If you haven't ever cast before and don't have anyone to show you how, the smaller net is easy to learn on, get a bigger one later.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Agree with getting the smaller one to start. It'll get you enough bait, especially if you fish alone most of the time. Unless you have someone to show you, there is a pretty good learning curve to casting the thing and the small one is easier to handle. I talked to lots of old timers and they all say they use the smaller ones or the 5 footer, but suggested the small net for a first timer.

9. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    For The 1st One...id Get A 3.5 Or 4 Footer
    Shaun

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Definately start with the 3 ft. after you learn a technique that works for you on how to throw it you can graduate to the 5 footer and as stated above practice in the yard before you go to the water.

11. Shortarms

Shortarms New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I bought a 6 footer at Wal-Mart for my first net. It was around $25. It was recommended by my brother. This net has a metal ring in the center of the net that you hold on to. You spin around, throw the net and put some spin on the ring and it opens right up. I had it down after 10 or so throws. You might wanna check it out.

12. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    I agree with Arkie, There isn't a lot of difference...

13. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I bought a 5' and I still can't throw the darn thing. I think I was born without a castnet-throwing bone.

14. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Check your Regs before you buy one.

15. JoshB

JoshB New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My regs are the same as yours. 5' with 3/8 mess is legal right?

16. JoshB

JoshB New Member

State:
    Ohio
    well i got the 5 footer, tried it out last night and love it. I played with it for about an hour. I'm not great at it, but im not catching my head anymore either. thanks guys

Josh