Cast Nets

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by MattyGfishing, Feb 18, 2009.

1. MattyGfishing

MattyGfishing New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    When catching shad with a cast net with a 6' radius, 3/4" holes, a pound of lead per foot works great. But is a 6' radius net with 1/4" holes and pound of lead per foot to slow to catch shad?

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    From throwing many different nets, I would say it would be slower, but not so sure it would be a large difference. One would think a net material change would make a much larger difference. I use 3/8 consistently, with mono line, in a either 4, 5 or 6 ft radius. By the way, 6 ft radius is a large net, so I would think most fish are not going to outrun it very easy. Mine also has the one pound per foot weight and will wear me out quite quickly. It's worth it normally, because it catches my bait better and shouldn't take as many throws.
    3/4 in. mesh would have one more big advantage, fewer little, unusable shad caught in the net.
    I keep a 3 ft. net with an 50 ft. length draw cord, in the boat. Sometimes, the shad are waaaay back in the coves where you can't get the boat. After throwing those heavy big ones, it's fun to watch how far that little one can go before opening.

3. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    1/4" mesh is a slow sink. A great all purpose net mesh size is 1/2inch, 3/8 is still a slow sink, but will work. I throw 10ft and 12ft Cracker Cats Nets for most bait species Gizzard shad and Alewives is the main bait here. Also the same nets for Bunker and mullet at the ocean. These nets weigh in at 1.5lbs per foot. Cracker nets, There a 'lil bit pricey but you have to remember the rule of thumb you get what you pay for. The larger the mesh the faster the sink rate. I'm unsure of the size of shad your after or the type. Threadfin shad are small with 1/2" mesh being the Max size you want to go. For Gizzard shad 5+ inches a mesh size of 1/2" works great and up to 1 1/8" Majority of the time the gizzard shad run 6-12" here.

1/2" and 5/8" mesh nets is mainly what i use, mainly so i wont have carry more then one net on the boat and 1/2" is perfect for Alewives aswell. Gizzard shad mostly are in shallow water 15ft and less. So the sink rate isnt a crucial as in winter when they go deep. But you still need the sink speed in 5ft of water. For clear water or when the gizzard shad are on the surface, they'll spook and the fast the sink when there on the run, the more bait you will catch. In the winter time, it isnt a bad idea to step up to larger mesh such a 5/8in mesh up to 1 1/8" . For a faster sink rate.

The main reason for larger mesh nets in my opinion is to weed the little (peanuts) baits out. As a larger size mesh net sinks, the small bait will filter out. If you use a small mesh size say a 1/4 and 3/8" mesh. the small bait will be trapped, slowing the sink rate tremendously. this will restrict you from being able to trap more larger baits, this can be cruical when bait is in 10-15ft. Even in shallow water. We you will be able to catch the the larger baits, but you will also have to sit and shake and pick out those 'lil peanuts that have been gill netted, if there smaller bait present. Taking up alot of time.

On your next net purchase. Also think about stepping up to an 8ft net as well. The more water you can cover, the more bait you can catch resulting in less time bait catching. More time fishing. If you can throw a 6ft net, and few practice throw's or an 8ft net in the back yard and you'll be good to go. Also check out the Cracker Nets. An 8ft 1/2mesh net weighing in at 1.5lb's per foot is a great all around, all purpose net..

Travis
    CatsNstripers

4. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    All I use is a Betts Super Pro 8 ft. with 3/8 in mesh. Baby threadfins will get gilled in it, but 1/4 inch sinks too slow. 3/8 or 1/2 inch is a good all around mesh size.

I use an 8 foot net because it fits in between the fingers on marina docks. You'll also catch a lot more shad per throw than with a 6 foot net. If you don't have any trouble throwing a 6 foot, you should try moving up to an 8 foot net. The less throws you have to make, the better.