Cast Nets- which one is the easiest to throw?

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by DELLIS, Apr 23, 2006.

1. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    :0a35: I am sure this has been asked at least a dozen if not a thousand times but what is the easiest cast net out there i bought one from basspro it was more clothy it worked great till it got wet 1st cast a 10 second cast a 3 then i got one from wally world it works ok but the lines snap easy never get it fixed right i have seen a newer one that has a big ring with it didnt know what anybody thinks or if one of the boc sponsors sell a good one that is shore friendly

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Sounds like the one from BPS was a nylon net, they are generally tougher but don't sink as fast. The second one from wally world should be mono. You also didn't say how big the nets were. When throwing from the bank into snaggy or rocky bottoms it is tough to keep from getting your net hung and tearing a hole in it. Since I don't know where, when, how, or what you are throwing into, gonna be hard to lend advice.
    Look for spots that are free from debris and rocks, stumps etc. Cast close to shore, if the net hangs, then you can wade out and retrieve it providing water is warm enough or you have waders.

3. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    both where 6 ft and generally the great miami river which i am beginning ti thing they should rename garbage dump river i saw the city of hamilton just pushing all the debri into it and saw some old toilet seats floating past me

4. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    That's nice, I believe that I would have to report this to someone.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Ain't none of em easy till ya get the technique down. LOL! I'm still stuck on usein the nylon type from walmart. It works fine for me. LOL!

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We have a BOC Mbr, Dennis aka Ol' Whiskers has an on going fight w/ things like this. I will forward him this link:

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The absolutely best all around cast net that is easy to throw ,opens perfectly every time,and never seems to cause any problems is the one in any of the many how to throw a cast net videos you can buy!;) The problem is there is only one of those made by those companies and the guy throwing it owns it.WHEN I buy one it seems they have all the usual problems.I'm not real sure, because I have only limited experience as to which one would be best for netting floating toilet seats.:rolleyes: :) ;)

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the best ones are the mono cast nets. the easiest and smoothest casting net ive owned was an Old Salt brand net, although they are the most costly among the cast nets. i stick with the cheapy's since i lose them or tear them up quite often. the instructions on how to throw them vary with each brand. i have seen about 6 different teqniques on how to throw them but only 1 worked for me when i was first learning. my digital camera has a Video recording mode, and if i could just figure out how to publish it on the net i'd make a video on how i throw one for everyone on here thats trying to learn.

9. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    First of all before I say anything about this net just know I am not at all affiliated with the guy that sells these.

I bought one of those easy throw cast nets off of Ebay and let me tell you the guy that sells these things is probably one of the best people I have dealt with on Ebay. he apparently is the same guy that invented this method of throwing a cast net with a metal ring at the top of the net. I don't quite have throwing it down, cause I need a bit more practice but its so much easier to throw then a regular cast net. It opens up so nice and pretty most of the time which is much better then I can say for when I threw the net before. What was really impressive is that he gives out his number to everyone that buys one of his nets and when you call him he will talk you through throwing it until you get it down perfectly. I just think in this day and age when so much of the time people are only out to make a buck the ones that go above and beyond should be recognized for it. If you need a cast net he is a great place to get it from.
    Thanks
    Craig

10. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I had posted this earlier on another thread but thought it worth repeating.

First of all before I say anything about this net just know I am not at all affiliated with the guy that sells these.

I bought one of those easy throw cast nets off of Ebay and let me tell you the guy that sells these things is probably one of the best people I have dealt with on Ebay. he apparently is the same guy that invented this method of throwing a cast net with a metal ring at the top of the net. I don't quite have throwing it down, cause I need a bit more practice but its so much easier to throw then a regular cast net. It opens up so nice and pretty most of the time which is much better then I can say for when I threw the net before. What was really impressive is that he gives out his number to everyone that buys one of his nets and when you call him he will talk you through throwing it until you get it down perfectly. I just think in this day and age when so much of the time people are only out to make a buck the ones that go above and beyond should be recognized for it. If you need a cast net he is a great place to get it from.
    Thanks
    Craig

11. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    1st off if your using the net from the bank in a area that has lots of snags,smaller nets are best. With a smaller net 3 1/2 - 4 foot you can hit your target better & won't snag as much. Smaller nets are easier to use/learn to cast as well. 2nd. NO net will spread right for you until you have mastered the casting teck. Smaller nets are your key to learning,then move up to a larger net size if needed. To help find a good netting area without snags us a R & R with a large lead only cast and drag the bottom until you find a clean area for casting your net. For a bank net/learning net cheap small mono nets from wal-mart or such are your best bet.

12. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I have one of those Fitec "super spreader" cast nets with the ring and am happy with it - have gotten my technique down to where I can throw it well almost every time. Got over 60 shad, better than 6" each, in one throw on Saturday. It's the 5' radius net.

Think I could learn to throw an "old fashioned" net without the ring now that I sort of understand the mechanics of getting the net to spread out. But will keep this net until it breaks.

13. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    There is only one net that you will be able to throw correctly. Yep, only one. It's the net you have practiced with dozens, perhaps hundreds of times. There is now way around it, money can't buy it. Practice till you get it right. You may very well ruin a couple in the proccess, it's the price you pay for learning. some folks like the mono type and others prfer the nylon. Either will work. Buy cheep till you learn and then go for a nice one. Don't make the mistake I did, though. When I finally had it down well enough to move up in quality, I didn't read the advertizments well enough. I spent $60 on a 6 ft net online. I learned real quick when it arrived, that not all companies size cast nets the same. Mine turned out to be 6 ft RADIAS. In other companies adds, that would have been called a 12 ft'er. Make sure you know which if you order one.
    I actually tried to throw that one a few times, not a pretty picture.
    Also, one other tip I can give you. Take the lead rope off and replace it with one that is at least 30 ft. I have no idea why most nets come with such a short rope. If you do, be sure to not replace it with cotton or nylon. They hold too much water and will throw your cast off considerably.

14. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    thanks for everybodies input once again boc is the best :0a31:

15. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Fitec Super spreader, 5 ft. radis with the largest mesh . Very easy to learn to throw and mid range priced . Comes with a very good c.d. on how to throw it several diffrent ways. Follow instructions to the letter and it works. Like Mr. T said after learning how to use this one you can go back to a real cheap-o and throw it. Most people I have saw try it throw well very quick, probably less than a dozen throws if you follow dirrwection. Have to use at least a full 3\4 spin in your throw.

16. buzz crackstock

buzz crackstock New Member

State:
    Springfield, IL
    I purchased one of the super spreaders from wal-mart for just under $25. It has tha aluminum ring and is a 5 footer. I've used, (and tore up/lost)lots of different nets and this is by far the best and easiest that I have found(for me) I fish from the bank and over the years have found the best spots for throwing nets. I stick to these spots and try not to throw a net into a new spot unless I check it for snaggs first. I do this by simply cast a 1/2 oz weight through the area I want to cast the net to. You'll find out pretty quick whats out there and how deep it is. I've seen a lot of guys throw out their net and when it hits the bottom they close it up slowly by gently tugging on the line. This is fine if throwing to mud or sand but if your around any rocks bigger than your two fist put together, the net will actually pick them up or snagg on the bigger ones. I've found that if I let it sink to just above the bottom and quickly give it some jerks I pick up less junk and get fewer snags. The good thing about these aluminum rings is that if you tear up your net or it wears out, you can remove the ring from the old net and put it just about any style new one. The inventor gives you the directions on how to do this in the instructional video that comes with the net.

17. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    mike... if u were to e-mail me the video @ crusinman2002@yahoo.com , i could put it up on my site in the storage area and give you a link to it, when people click the link it would open the video directly from my site, and they would have the option to save the video so they can watch it whenever they need to. its not a problem for me to do it, and i don't mind the size at all... if its too big, i can compress it a little bit.

but yeah, i have a cheap fitec 6' radius one from walmart, not the one with the ring, the traditional one, i figured out how to throw it, and have been doin pretty good on it, i had someone at my fishin hole show me how to throw it. all you got to do is get a cheap one and practice, if you don't want to mess up the net, you can practice in your yard, that will also allow you to see how it is opening and how much it is opening when you throw it. i'm going to be getting me one of those fitec super spreaders from walmart.

i seen someone said that the lines kept popping on them, if its on the lead line its really easy to fix. i had to figure it out, all you have to do is count how many peices of lead are between each mono closing line, and from that you will be able to figure out where each one has to go. they group through the net choke (the plastic peice on the top of the net) and kinda stay in that group till the lead line. all you have to do is tie the mono line to the lead line, use just a regular triple knot and use needle nose pliers to tighten each not and the knot will stay in place... i did that on all the lines and haven't popped one since.

hope this helps

18. BigSlippy

BigSlippy New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    yeah i dont have good luck with cast nets. i keep having to buy new ones from wal-mart because i keep ripping them on rocks, tree, and trash.