Cast nets questions?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by JEFFRO67, Aug 8, 2007.

1. JEFFRO67

JEFFRO67 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Is there a good brand of cast net i should be looking for or will any brand do? The ones i`ve seen were made out of EL-CHEAPO looking onion sack netting. can you buy a good heavier gauge cast net or is it worth the extra money? i`m new to this and have no clue any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you are new to throwing a castnet I would get a cheap one, you are going to tear them up...I have went thru 6 this year already.

3. JEFFRO67

JEFFRO67 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Thanks Jack i`ll get an el-cheapo one to start with until i get decent at throwing the darn thing. Thanks for your input.

Jeff

4. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jeff,

I Don't know what your needs are but we have had real good luck with Betts Brand Nets.
    We prefer the Monofilament , Betts uses a bunch of lead per foot based on the radius , Thats seems to help them do the right thing when your learning to throw one.
    When we first started we used Nylon Nets. They were darn tough and repairable in ways a Mono net just isn't. In fact I have one that is 8-10 years old that has more patches than original almost..LOL

Both can be had for something under thirty dollars.
    Some for less that 20.00.

Don't want to Spam but if ya need a source . Track me down and I will share where I get mine.

Good Luck
    R Green
    Duckpoor

5. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    E Mail on the way. Little short on posts to get to PM yet.

Good Luck Jeff,

Duckpoor

R G

reen

6. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    with my experances with cast net cheaper is better. I can find the only possiable thing to get snagged on when i throw mine, and sometimes it does cause little or no dammage to the net. Mine does have a few patches in it now and i am sure it will have more before i am done with it. Just so you know those dang gar really work on them if you happen to catch one of them in it. :big_smile:

7. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Tip for ya to not snag as much.. Most throw their net out, let it sink to the bottom, then pull it in.. If your throwing in a snaggy area (brush, rip rap, etc).. Throw it out there, and pull it in QUICKLY BEFORE it hits bottoms...I usually never let mine touch the bottom if I can help it... You'll find you get a whole lot less snags.. You may not get Net full of fish each throw though, so the trade off is you may have to throw more times if your going after alot of bait....

8. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    Once you learn how to throw a castnet, it makes it actually fun to get bait. if you tear a mono one, just fix it with 50" line. I've got one of the cheapo walmart ones and its lasted 2 seasons.

9. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Tim is right about not letting it hit bottom. I don't know how many I have torn up. I have three in my boat right now just in case. I don't buy cheap I buy inexpensive ones LOL.