Cast Nets on Mississippi

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by F250CAT, Aug 8, 2008.

1. F250CAT

F250CAT New Member

State:
    Millstadt, IL
    A friend had a discussion with an Illinois conservation officer about cast nets on the Mississippi River.
    The Illinois regulation has an 8' diameter (4' radius), 3/8" mesh listed as the maximum size for a cast net.
    The IL/MO regs state that the "fishermen must conform with the more restrictive regulations" of either state.
    Long story short, the officer said you can receive a ticket for "possessing" a cast net larger than 8' diameter, 3/8" mesh in Illinois (including the creeks to the Mississippi), or even on the Mississippi.

Has anyone else run into any issues with this?

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    If you're fishing on a Missouri permit, don't worry about it.

3 CSR 10-6.405 General Provisions (4) Reciprocal Privileges:

3. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Thanks Marty, we can always count on you to give us the skinny on regulations. Reps to ya!

4. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Cuz, Willie, and I were given a warning last year by the Illinios conservation police for throwing a 7' radious cast net on the Illinois side of the river. He said as long as we were on the Missouri side, we were OK, but couldn't use it on the Illinios side.:crazy:

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Might be I'm only 87% right on this one..

Looks like Illinois rules do say that -- if you're on the Illinois half of the river -- you're obliged to abide by their laws.

From http://dnr.state.il.us/fish/digest/digest.pdf : (bold text is mine)
    So just catch your bait on the Missouri side and don't worry about it.

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I don't think that Cuz ever got close to a technique that could be considered 'throwing' a 14' cast net!:smile2: Maybe he felt sorry for you guys.:wink::smile2:

7. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    No but he got pretty good at using the net to inflate his PFD.. If only we had pictures of the procedure for training purposes of course.. hehehe

8. F250CAT

F250CAT New Member

State:
    Millstadt, IL
    Thanks Marty,
    I have read your MO reg summary and it is very informative.

My friend also received a warning from IL conservation on IL side of the river and was told the same thing as Gary.

It looks like the opposite is also true so that if you are fishing the MO side of the river with an IL license, you would follow MO rules, except that since IL is more restrictive for cast nets, you could still only throw an 8' net with an license.

I guess the other thing that surprised me, was that conservation said they could ticket you for "possession" of a net larger than 8' on the IL side, not just for using it.

9. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Good point Paul, Marty brought up the regs, with that as well as some experience from our BOC guys from Mo with the Illinois DNR hopefully can shed some light… The Illinois conservation guy was correct in saying - can get a ticket for "possessing" a cast net of a larger size in any Illinois waters which would include the official boundary Illinois side of the Mississippi. We had some BOC guys get a warning from them for "using" a larger net on their side of the river. We from Missouri would fall into that restrictive part on their side but the “possession” part is a big time issue needing addressed. Someone with an Illinois license can come over to our side under the regs and use a bigger net… but as soon as he crossed that line back into his own state waters with that net he could be cited under possession… So far it’s been handled as what state fishing license one holds but is a area up to the agent… Asked a conservation agent once about if a trophy fish we’re caught on the Mississippi, how could we know which state would take the claim. Answer was we would go with you to the spot, take a gps reading and look it up to verify… point being that “official line” is vague at best so for the most part is at the descretion of the officer. I still say the world record fish caught by Pruitt was caught on the Missouri side down on the flats at the confluance but the “claim” is up by the dam where both banks are “officially” under Illinois jurisdiction…. Does the Officials know the boundaries? Not exactly, but a ticket is still a ticket, so be careful out there.

10. Ol Swampy

Ol Swampy New Member

State:
    Festus Mo.
    I have been throwing a 16ft. net for the last couple months but on the mo. side of the river. Does this mean I should take it out if we anchor on the Il. side to fish? Seems sort of stupid if you ask me.:roll_eyes:

11. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Jon, I wouldn't even worry about it. The closest ramp for an Illinois warden to use would be Kaskaskia, and I doubt their gonna run all the way up where we are at. In 15 years on our river, I've never seen one. When we were stopped last year, we were in downtown St. Louis.:wink:

12. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I got stopped by one last year at the Winfield Dam. MO one week and IL the next, haven't seen one since from either state.

13. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Yeah but thats cause you look like a troublemaker Skippy

14. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    My vote for "understatement of the year".

15. catfishchris

catfishchris Active Member

State:
    missouri
    Illinois and Missouri tried to simplify sportfishing regulations a few years ago by adopting reciprocal privelages. However, there were some issues that couldn't be agreed upon. The most noteworthy were the paddlefish regulations. In cases were the two states' regulations don't match, the most restrictive regulation applies.

The sticky point is when the two states can't agree which regulation is the most restrictive(i.e. the paddlefish regulations). When in doubt, fish on the side of the river in which you are licensed.

By the way, the officer was correct. Illinois does have a restriction on cast net size.