Cast nets may make you a better catfisherman

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by catman529, Oct 12, 2006.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Get a cast net, if you don't have one; it's a great tool and saves you money on bait. Flathead fishermen won't have to buy expensive baitfish for trophy flats. Many people use cast nets but those of you who don't, consider getting one.

They run from $15 to around $20 depending on size. I have found them at both Wal-Mart and Academy. I prefer monofilament.

Cast nets can be thrown anywhere baitfish are present. Just watch out for snags - I lost a net easily because of this. You can learn quickly how to throw one and create your own ways of throwing them.

In the past two years I caught at least 90% of my cats with bait that I harvested with a cast net. This is something to consider if you don't have one. Get a cast net, save money, have fun and increase your catch rate.

Get the big one
    Catman

2. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I agree , being able to keep fresh bait on your hook without going broke increases your catch and makes it easier to get on the water without going broke .

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Yes its a much needed tool!! In fact if u don't have 2 your not prepared in my opinion.

Doc posted where the 1/2" mesh sink alot faster if u can find them. I did find and buy one but lost it on my very first cast with it.

I need a new profile photo of my net drapped over my shoulder & I!

:byebye:

4. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    yes i got my first cast net 2 years ago i havent been with out bait in a long time

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah iv had the same one for 6 months iv stitched up holes and retied the weights and replaced the lines , even gone in over my head to retreive it from snags :lol: i love my net .

6. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    They are one of the best investments you can have.
    Loop

7. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    i started using one this year thanks to the boc.it'll pay for itself after a couple of times out.

8. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I like to catch my bait with a fly rod or ultra light spinning outfit, but when I am looking for shad, the cast net can't be beat!

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Bought one of the 3.5 footers a few months ago. I no longer buy bait. At the place I launch my kayak, I get all the 2-6" bream I want. I've torn it a few times, repaired and it works as good as new. Tore a bit rip in it casting from a river boat ramp the other day, musta took me two hours to put it back together.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ya u need fresh bait in order to catch mr big!

11. Wayne J.

Wayne J. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Everyone should have at least one. As irritating as they may be, they are well worth the time and patience. good luck and good fishing:cool2:

12. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    They are a good tool, but before you buy one check your local laws as they are illegal in some states.

13. matt_k_a

matt_k_a New Member

State:
    texas
    I got one from a friend had to repair it but now I enjoy using it.

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    A cast net is a must have tool. Don"t go without it. You are giving excellent advice to some one just starting. Also " Try it and you will like it". It will save you lots of money to add other needed gear and terminal tackle.

15. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have been puting of getting one but will:tounge_out:

16. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    They are a great addition to your catfishng arsenal. But beware of state regulations, some states do not allow them, and some states have a season for them in Nebraska it is from July 1 through November I believe. There have been many times that I have gone in after my cast net. Some words of caution; a 3 1/2 footer can make you fall in the water if you are on a slippery rock, and throwing a bigger net can cause Repetitive Motion Injuries, my shoulder still acts up from about 2 months ago. My prefered bait method is rod and reel. I had an ultralight from wallyworld spooled with 4 pound test and used like a size 10-12 "J" style long shanked hook with a piece of night crawler for bait, I can usually catch all the chubs that I need in about 15 mins.

17. koondawg

koondawg New Member

State:
    texas
    I have had many cast nets and was never able to throw one,a friend took the time to show me how. Now I have three (6ft)(7)(8). I also invested in a bait tank. My wife calls it a 500.00 minow bucket.
    Now I use live shad almost exclusively and I am catching a lot of fish, drifting, throwing em out on the bottom and slip corking. 11.2oz bass, 17lb blue in the last month.
    Boat has been broke for three weeks and about $3,000. but Tuesday I will be up early getting bait and looking for deep water with live bait, and cut bait.

18. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Best thing we ever learned to use. Tons of bait swimming under you all the time and I was buying minnows and other crap to fish with.

The other day we were casting near a RR bridge and a bass fisherman came up throwing some plugs nearby. He watched us as we pulled in several nets with shad and some brim in them. Then we netted a 3.5 lb bass that we threw back. As he cranked up his engine and left I heard him say;

"Damn cat fishermen!"

19. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :smile2: Best thing I ever learned to use. Now about the only bait I buy is nightcrawlers now and then. Took me all summer but I finally learned how after I was shown how by Rustys son a month or so ago.

20. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Aaron @ Patrick.
    You are so right about checking the regulations in your state , hear in California where I live they are against the law, But so is just about every thing else that has to do with fishing. In most places you are not even aloud to use live bait, and we are only aloud one pole with two hooks, are one hand line with two hooks. and they have to be closely attended. Oh how I envy all you members in the southern states.
    catfish slick