Cast Nets and live bait on the Missouri River?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by sfleischli, Apr 17, 2006.

1. sfleischli

sfleischli New Member

State:
    Labadie, Missou
    Hey team!

I have finally come to the conclusion that I need to start catching my own bait with a Cast Net. Till now I have never listened to the pros here, and becuase of this I seem to be stuck with pan sized cats, with occasionally a 10+ lber.

I mainly fish the Missouri River from around New Haven/Washington down to around the Highway 40 bridge (Chesterfield).

I have seen many posts about the Easy Throw nets, and think that is where I will start. What I need help with is:
    1. Where are the best places to catch shad, etc with the nets?
    2. What sizes of bait are best to use?
    3. Is it best to use live or fresh cut?
    4. I usually use a 3/0 Kahle hook. Is this big enough?
    5. What is the best way to hook the live shad, etc. Thorugh the spine, mouth, etc.

Thanks all for the help. I know I can count on learning more than a few things here, especially since I have now become humble! :)

- Steve - Labadie, Missouri

2. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    First off Welcome to the Boc
    Second I don't I am not there but good luck

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Hi Steve and welcome to the BOC.

The Easy-throw net seems to work pretty good - I've got one and can do a respectable job of throwing it now that I've practiced a bit. The only downside is that they're not very big (you won't find anything bigger than 5' radius in local stores).

I'll take a stab at your questions:

1. On the river, I think you'll find shad at the mouths of creeks and in slack areas behind the dykes. Based purely on what I've read here - haven't been on the river myself yet but I'm working on that part.

You might do just as well to get shad from a local pond or small lake if you know they're in there (and if it's legal to use a cast net on that lake) - look for them to be flipping the water surface just before sunset.

In your boat, you'll have to learn to identify a ball of shad on the fish finder, and then you'll have to learn to position yourself over them and throw the net. I'm still working on that part and rely on a small local city pond for my shad currently.

2. Bigger is probably better in most cases. You select for the larger catfish by using a bigger bait.

3. Depends on the bait and the time of year, but shad seems to work best when you cut it into 3 pieces - head, midsection and tail. Throw the tail away and fish with the other two sections.

4. A 3/0 Khale is probaly not big enough. 5/0 might work better.

5. I hook my shad through the mouth (up from the bottom and out the hard part of the nose, or just behind the eyes in the hard part of the head. For the midsection, hook it somewhere near the spine. Make sure the tip of your hook isn't buried and make sure it's free of fish scales.

4. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
  5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Mr.T pretty much summed it up. Although I use 8/0 circle hooks and 1 whole shad from spring - summer. Just cut the tail off leaving the guts exposed. I like to hook them either in the eye's or from the lower lip up to the top of the head. Shad is not the only good bait on the river either. Them silver and big head carp that jump are mighty fine cut bait also in the summer. I use my cast net to catch them or I just let them jump into the boat. As far as size of bait I guess that just boils down to how big of fish you are after. For shad anything over 6 inches and for cut carp I'll use something like a 2 inch X 4 inch filet.

6. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    I will add that the best method I have found for hooking shad is thru the nostrils. You can fish them live or as cut bait using this method.

7. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Hey, welcome to the B.O.C...

I fish the exact same stretch of river you do and have never had a problem finding shad. The creek just west of the Hwy 47 bridge is plum full of shad. You can also find shad in the shallows above wing-dykes. The shad are plentiful and after a rain, very easy to find. (Don't know exactly why, but it seems that after a rain the shad really start flippin on the surface aggressively) There are lots of trophy size cats in the missouri where we fish and I have personally seen fish in the 80 pound range pulled out of there.

Good luck

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    1. The shad are just now starting to migrate into the various creeks that feed into the Missouri and the Mississippi to spawn. Another three weeks and you will be able to walk on them. Concentrate on the creek mouths, and about 100 yards up.
    2. If its big fish you are after, go with BIG BAITS. I readily use 1 pound baits. Not a hard fast rule, but the Big Blues generally prefer large cut baits, and the Large Flats like Large Live Baits.
    3. Both. Fresh is best whether you use cut or live. Change out cut baits every 15 minutes. Change out live baits when they get tired of swimming like there life depends on it.
    4. NO. Not big enough. At least 6 ott should suffice, depending on hook type. If circles is your game, at least a 6, and make sure it has a WIDE GAP. If you use J's, or Kahles, Size 9 is winning the popularity contest. (These fish have huge mouths.)
    5. Best way to hook a live Shad is either through the nostrils, just below the dorsal in the back, or in the belly if using them live. If using cut bait, hook the bait right in the very edge being carefull not to ball the bait up on the hook.
    Thats how I do it. Hope it helps. Most folks rig this same way, using a basic Carolina Rig set up. Experiment a little bit and find what works. You shouldnt have any trouble finding shad. They are pretty easy pickings right now.

9. sfleischli

sfleischli New Member

State:
    Labadie, Missou
    Glad to hear everyone's opinions and no doubt I will take them to heart. Rat, I know where you are talking about, Charette Creek. I was there last weekend, not looking for bait, just fishing. I will definitely hit that place first!!

How about Boeuff Creek? I would guess the Shad could be good there also. Any ideas on when they (MDC) will open that Colters Landing ramp again? That was such a great launch!

Anyways, looking forward to Saturday. If anyone else is out there and you see me (16 ft Skeeter, white/green), pull up and say hi!

All my best and thanks again!

-Steve

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Good Luck Steve!!! Sounds like you found bait paradise. You'll be on those hogs in no time. Hint: If you find bait, Big Blues wont be too far from there. Keep us Posted.

11. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    welcome to the boc . one outher hook up for shad. is through the roof of the mouth, they will swim natural . thats the way we hookum up for stripre seems to work great for cats too.NOW (confused yet) good luck:)