Cast net

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by kory, Jun 13, 2007.

1. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
    ok, so i bought a cast net, i can't justify spending 7.29/dozen for suckers/chubs, goldfish at wholesale baits anymore.....

after searching BOC for a few hours, literally, i've found more than enough info on HOW to throw it, i'll practice tomm, i just need to check the state laws.

still have a question tho. Seems like most ppl are just catching shad, is it uncommon to catch chubs/suckers using a cast net? is there a better way for them?

also, where to look for the schools of baitfish? just pools in feeder streams? eddies in the river? things like that?

2. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    for the first question, if its in the water, it will show up in your net. i've caught just about everything in mine including crawdads ... lol.
    as for where to throw i usually try to catch at the edge of break water or just watch for jumpers.
    i'm sure you'll get more on this post, theres a lot of ways to do it and i'm still learnin.

3. trey5569

trey5569 New Member

State:
    WEST VIRGINIA
    all depend on the size of creeks you fish without depth it is hard to get you net to close right i can cast to small holes and drag out a hole almost as good as a sein watch out for snags it wont be your last cast net
    i have always had better luck seining or just fishing small creeks for chubs

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Just make sure to stay 1000 feet from the dam. That is a biggie.

We have alot of luck throwing it about 4 foot out from rocky areas. Also, look for schooling shad.

If you get it caught, try to hook that inner ring and pull it up, that will usually release the snag.

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    You can cast net within 100 feet downstream of any dam as long as it is not posted. In the state of Ohio you may only catch rough fish in your castnet for bait. That means if you catch a bluegill, crappie, bass, catfish, sauger, saugeye, walleye, etc in your net they must be returned to the water immediately. Usually you castnet below dams for shad, carp, and drum. These guys have covered small creeks. In a lake look for flips on the surface and long ripples that you may learn is a school of shad and watch for a lot of birds hitting the surface. Believe it or not, they know where the food is located. Incidentally, if you find a school of baitfish with birds diving, catch some and bait up right there to see what is under them pushing them or feeding on them.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Thanks man, did not know the 100 foot rule. Have to check out Deer Creek posts.

7. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Tea if I remember correctly it is posted at Deer Creek Dam.

8. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
    thanks guys!

i went out today in the backyard after watching the different videos on how to throw, 1st throw, it opened up 95% or so....lol so much better than the instructions in the box.....i'm gonna try it out tonight

9. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
    i went down to the creek tonight. caught a dozen or so suckers, a few crawdads and a couple small gills....i was impressed lol. then the net got caught on about a 20 ft long lead pipe in the river, and now about 1/4 of the net is ripped from the lead line.....is it better to repair it, or just buy a new one?

10. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I would repair it with some mono fishing line and keep it for netting snaggy areas. I would also go get a new to use for the nice open areas. Seems them cast nets will find every snag in a body of water. I could find a snag in a swimming pool I tell ya. :big_smile:

11. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I always carry 2 nets, just in case 1 does get hung or tore.

12. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Sorry, I mistyped. It may be posted 1000 feet below a dam. If not posted, you may use the cast net.

BTW, if you catch bluegill or any other "gamefish" in a castnet, they must immediately be returned to the water. If you get caught (and they do watch with high powered glasses from distant bluffs) it is a purty good fine.

13. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    You should also note that you cannot use a net longer than 5ft radius, which is ten ft diameter. Most cast nets are sold with the radius on the box. If it says its a 6ft net that means when opened its a 12ft diameter which is illegal in Ohio. So watch for that. I am still a tad upset from a conversation I had three weeks ago with the game warden about cast nets and the distance from the dam. I was using one up at Ellis to catch shad, He comes along and tells me that I can't use it within 1000 ft of "any" dam. I told him it said in the laws booklet "any posted dam". So we went thru this 3 more times, ANY, and POSTED. Well he had the badge and gun so I deferred to him. I'm looking at the booklet as I write this and it states both of those. Under the Forage Fish section it says "No fish may be taken within 1000 ft downstream from a dam." On the next page under Cast Nets it says " within 1000 ft downstream from any posted dam". So what are we supposed to do? Use them when there are no signs and fight a ticket in court? Which rule is the correct one. Just another fine example of our government at work.

14. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Don't feel bad Jason. I'm on my 3rd net already this year:sad2:

15. BigCatJake

BigCatJake New Member

State:
    Bellville,Ohio
    For suckers in clear streams, make sure the water is not to deep, for if it is the suckers spook easy and will escape the net as it descends to the bottom, try for shallow water for them. chubs and shiners are a little easier to catch. For them I recommend using 2lb test line a a size 12 gold colored hook and a bb split shot with a 1/4 to 1/2 inch worm, and fish the pockets for them, you catch more, the same for bluegill. The cast net works great for shad and occasionally for suckers. Night time is the best time to gather your bait when using a castnet, the come close to the shorelin or move into shallower water and appear to be sleeping/resting. If you have a pool of small to medium suckers, try using hook and line with as little weight as possible a a size 8 to 10 long shank hook and put on a glob of redworms and soak it in front of the schooling suckers, works well n the spring time.

16. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I'm getting ready to buy my first castnet, so i can learn how to throw one half way decent. I think i have a good tecnique to catch plenty of shad in open water. last time i was out on the boat I shined my beam off the back of the boat right where the fishfinder is mounted and not even a minute later my fishfinder was showing a screen full of baitfish.......i took the light away and they went away......has anyone used this tecnique to net shad? seems like a productive way catch bait , but just need to learn how to throw a net good first.

17. powercat

powercat New Member

State:
    Olathe,Ks/Fish Gravois Mi
    I use a green flourescent light that I purchased at Bass Pro. I place it of my dock at sundown and then go down around 10pm and can usually catch enough shad for the next days fishing. It does take time for it to attract the plankton and then the shad, usually one to one and half hours.

It is a lot easier to practice throwing the net in your backyard than in the lake.

18. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
    when repairing my cast net, i read thru the library and found some info, but what type of knot should i use?