Cast Net

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by catfishing is fun, Dec 27, 2006.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    I am thinking about spending some of my christmas money on one, but i have a question, its winter and the bait fish aint biteing, could i still get them with a cast net

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yes you can catch bait in the winter with a cast net. Are you fishing from the bank or boat? Some good info in the library.

3. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    yeah, id start off with a small one, of course i learned that because i started off with a big one, but yes u can catch bait fish during the winter with a cast net.

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah marshal theres good bait out there to be had if you can catch it . you might check the regulations in your state on cast netting in ky your suposed to have at least 500 surface acres of water before useing the net and no less than 100 yards from a dam . but i have thrown in ponds where i had permision and caught several blue gill and creeks where iv caught creek chubs and at night crawfish . the best places are off docks in or around marinas , but always get permision first .
    and you might want to start with a smaller net than mine which is a 10 footer but thats what i learned on and it works for me . good luck

5. Denny H

Denny H New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Absolutely you can catch bait fish, also this is a great time of year to be practicing. I would also start with a smaller size net until you became better.

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    You may want to get it this time of year things tend to go up in the spring:0a27:

7. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    thanks for all the info guys, how small is small, i was planning on getting a 4-1/2ft one is that "small"

8. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    also ill be throwing from a bank

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    sounds perfect thats the size i wish i had. i started with a 5 and now i have a 4 and wish it was a 4 1/2.

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    a 4 1/2 foot one would be a diameter of 9 feet. Thats pretty large for a novice. You probably would be better off with something around 6 to 9 feet in diameter until you learn good, sound mechanics of throwing the net. Don't go too big at first as you may get so discouraged you throw the net in the water and walk away. I got one of my nets that way. LOL

11. brent

brent New Member

State:
    texas
    i use a 7' but that is the law here but i would suggest a smaller one at first just to practice w/ like these guys have said.

12. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    thanks for all your help, i just bought a 4ft one, it took me about 45minutes, and i was getting it to hit almost fully open, now i just got to try it in the water