Cast Net

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by outoftheboat, Sep 30, 2006.

1. outoftheboat

outoftheboat Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    What is the best way of adding extra weights to a cast net? Thanks for the help.

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Check in the BOC libaray,I'm sure you can find out anything you need to know about bait cast nets. I know Whistler had an article on it and I do believe you'll find it in there.

3. outoftheboat

State:
    South Carolina
    This is what I have done. Got weights from destroyed cast net. Cut them with a saw from top to bottom. Opened them with a chisel. Clamped them on new net skipping every other one. The only problem I see might be the sharp edge left inside the weight. Worked great in the yard. If it will last at least three months it will pay for itself.

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    if youve got an old net the same size as the new you can cut the weight line free of the net and tie it to the new with heavy gauge line it will be twice as heavy , will sink faster fish cant out run it , but you wont want to throw it as much either lol

Attached Files:

• net.JPG
      net.JPG
      File size:
      12.7 KB
      Views:
  5. outoftheboat

State:
    South Carolina
    That's a great idea. You are right about not wanting to throw it much. Last week I used a 6' net for an hour and caught 5 shad, then a stump ate the net. I was using a friends boat and he had a 7' net with extra weight, ended up catching 1/2 gallon bag in 20 min. I hope the theory works more weights less casts.