Cast net

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by catfisher43, Sep 12, 2006.

1. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    new at throwing a cast net here.ive been practicing in the yard.i cant remember which thread i read about thowing the net,but it sure worked for me.my question is it better to throw from bank or a boat.i read on here you usually get hung up quite abit,so thinking out of a boat would be better.any replies would be greatly appreciated.thx.

2. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i've used the one i got from the bank and they do get tangled up n tear easy,thats my main way of gettin bait mines a life saver.never threw one from a boat but it would seem harder dependin on what type of boat your in n the size of the castnet.

3. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have a 5 ft throw net and I throw it from the front of my boat all of the time! It works great, it starts to wear on your shoulder after a awhile! If you have a boat with a deck big enough to stand on than you should be fine! Keep this in mind....the smaller boat you have the smaller the net you should get! You need plenty of room to wip it out there! If you have a smaller deck to throw from, get a 4 ft net, they work just fine!

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    My boat has a very large platform up front that works great for setting the anchor or throwing a castnet. In regards to getting it hung up, if you throw it into "crap" it will get hung up regardless as to rather it was deployed from the bank or a boat, been there done that :eek:oooh:

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    This is an artical I did on throwing a castnet. Maybe this will help.
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26474

As far as throwing a net from a boat, it is a different ball game on a un-stable surface to say the least. You need to have good balance to do this from a boat.

6. roofermike

roofermike New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    I have a smallish 16 foot flat bottom boat. I have never had any problem throwing the net from any position on the boat. In fact when me and my brother-in-law fish together we will both throw nets (him using a 4 footer and me using an 8 footer). As was said earlier if you throw into crap you will get tangled, the area we get our bait in we have never had a problem with hang-ups. It has been my experience that a 5 foot cast net is the easiest to throw, smaller than that it seems more difficult and larger is more difficult. I will say though that a large net means less throws in the long run if you can get the sucker to open up.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I guess that depends on where the shad are located. Are if you have a boat are not.

8. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I throw my net from the boat all the time...no problems. In fact I have never tried it from the bank! Like what laidbck111 said, it all depends on where the shad are!

9. tbones23

tbones23 New Member

State:
    St. Louis, Missouri
    I've always thrown from my boat. Never had any real issues other than wearing my arms out trying to get the dang thing to open. Dreadnaught, thanks a bunch for the link, I'm going to try your method!!

10. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    All you have to do if casting from a boat is hold the net higher. If your cast netting from a boat you really need to learn how. I have a video that shows it. I'll have to find the URL, but will post it here when I find it.

11. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    the article dreadknot had on here was very informative.the net was opening withing 5 throws.thx for all the replies.

12. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    go to the library and tea has a great pictures and video on how to throw one. i was throwing one in minutes after see this

13. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just bought a cast net. I was thinking that with the National coming up it would be the ideal time to find someone who could help me learn to use it.

14. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    I throw a 10ft net from the bow of my boat all the time. Slider showed me a couple of easy ways to throw a large net. It wears me out quicker, but I usually don't throw over 4 or 5 times and have all the bait I can handle. Calusa also has a good online video on throwing a large net on their web site.

15. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    iv got a freind who doesnt hold the rope when he throws it instead stand on it or ties it to the boat in fear of hanging it and being pulled in .

iv never had a problem i have a ten footer and throw from any where in my boat all the time