Cast Net...

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by ThaWstSide, Jul 29, 2009.

1. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Boy oh Boy, talk about a learning curve... I obtained a casting net thru a friend at work that said he wasnt thrilled with trying it. I ended up soaking wet from multiple throws, but I am telling you, even after doing it repeatedly for about 3 hours I still aint very good.

I did get quite a few fish though, I put every single one back cause it wasnt anything I was after. I am really just trying to learn to use it.

I ended up getting 3 bright orange bellied sunfish/bluegill, about 3 dozen largemouth bass fingerlings (things were absolutely adorable), 2 smallmouth bass that i am going to post pictures of, they caught me off guard, and i also got probably a dozen bluegill ranging from 3 inches long to about 5 inches long.

Now if I can just come across a few large schools of shad, or something else baitfish wise I will be set.

Keep me posted, will ya'll please...

Thanks,
    Jim

2. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Ok here is the pic of the 2 Smallies that got caught up in my cast net during practice. They wasnt thrilled, but they posed in my clutches long enough for the picture before being returned to the water. My kiddos enjoyed seeing a couple fish since they didnt get to make the trip to the creek with me tonight.

Attached Files:

3. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    jim, im not sure about the water level this week, but you might check out the spillway on 10th st, east of 465 on the west side.. thats a good place to find shad

4. justAwatcher

justAwatcher New Member

State:
    Central Indiana
    That's where we went first. Tossed it around about 15 times there. :)

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Man whatever you do, DON'T use those bass and sunfish that you nab in your net for bait DNR will have your ass...

I ain't good with a net either bro, and it ain't like ridin' a bicycle.... every spring I gotta relearn the damn thing.... I don't mess with 'em much.

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    welcome to the BOC!!!

7. kyleco55

State:
    Central In
    is the water high up there? im heading to the west side for a few hours in the morning, was thinking about taking my net, and cooler, and checking it out afterwards

welcome to the boc tamm!

8. justAwatcher

justAwatcher New Member

State:
    Central Indiana
    Thanks Bill for the welcoming :) and he wouldn't use them as bait he put them all back :)

Kyle, No the water isn't high; there is just a lot of rocks tore a hole in Jim's net..

9. kyleco55

State:
    Central In
    shad are fairly easy to get at that spot. if your wearing some shorts, just take your shoes off, and walk across the ledge at the bottom of the spillway. its only about 8inches deep. walk across the ledge about 3/4 way, and toss the net on the ledge.. back up, wait a few minutes, and do it again.. last time we was there ( travis and i ), we caught 160 shad in about 20 minutes doin this.

10. justAwatcher

justAwatcher New Member

State:
    Central Indiana
    You couldn't see them in the water. The water isn't up but it looked deeper then that there

11. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Kyle next time you head over there let me know. I need some bait, and I've been itching to try my new net. :smile2:

12. justAwatcher

justAwatcher New Member

State:
    Central Indiana
    Kyle, Jim said that he could use about 12 or so shad. He told me to tell you that.

13. kyleco55

State:
    Central In
    hey tamm, im gonna be up that way in the morning, ill see what i can do for him.. i got a new cellphone, so i lost his number, but ive got the same number as before.. ill send it to him in a pm, have him give me a call in the morning!:wink:

travis, your SOL man.. lol kidding, im logging on IM now:smile2:

14. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    :smile2::smile2: a casting that is way to much work just a u/l pole bee mouth or red worm and that is how i am catcing my bait

15. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC/SOC Tamm!!

16. kyleco55

State:
    Central In
    well, the appointment in indy got cancelled today... hopefully tomorrow!

jimmy, you cant catch shad with bee moth or red worms!:wink:

17. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    I agree, I can catch massive amounts of gills, etc. at the rock dam in an hour. Biggest count so far was 176 in 2 hours.

Anybody need bait?

On beemoth!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  18. kyleco55

State:
    Central In
    well jim, youve got my number again, ill definately give you a shout when i do make it up there..

19. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Yea, I got it this morning when I got to work.

I will wait to hear from ya, I dont wanna call and upset your woman since she is pregnant and all....

I work 8 - 5, so hit me up sometime and we can meet up for some bait or hit a fishing hole!

20. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i know i cannot catch shad on bee mouth or red worm--:confused2::confused2: when i go catch i want to catch bait and hit the river :smile2::smile2::smile2: plus i tried a cast net and said this is to much work for bait