Cast Net tips?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by deadly_legend, Sep 19, 2008.

1. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Well, I just bought my first cast net, and i was wondering if anyone had any tips on using one, and is it ok to use it from the bank? thank you for any input :big_smile:

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I had a 3 foot one to learn on when I was small as did my father and my children.He made me learn to cast right and left handed so that I would not get tired and could cast continuously for 6 to 8 hours without stop.This is necessary to catch the most Shrimp in the South Eastern Atlantic and Gulf Coasts on each tide.I would often catch 110 to 130 lbs a tide when most folk had 30 lbs.as a good catch.You have to keep the net in the water to catch.If you are resting,you are not catching.I caught 2-5 thousand pounds of shrimp a year back then.I would freeze a thousand lbs.a year,furnish a thousand lbs.between friends and family and sell the rest to pay for Gas,oil,boats and Motors.I have also had a crab license and commercial shrimped with a drag net.

It is easiest to lean to swap sides as you learn to cast.You swap sides at the very first sensation of fatigue.Do not wait to get tired and you will not by swapping.Now I was a industrial mechanic in good shape use to working 8-16 hour shifts for weeks to months at the time.

The higher you are from the water,the easier it is to open the net.Learning to throw the net up into the air will give you the hight needed to open it when you are low to the water.

Practice often for short times to learn or to stay in practice.Quit practicing when you get tired.It will just get harder and more discouraging in long sessions.

Cut yourself a stick as long as you can handle with a small Y on it.Smooth all sharp places on it.Practice un hanging your net with it by pushing the netting and lead-line with the fork.Also practice twirling your netting up with the stick to lift it off of obstructions.Do this on the grass where you can see.Then do it with your eyes shut.Once your net is hung,it is too late to learn how to do it without damaging your net.You will hang your net.You should wade to it and un hang it by hand and feel whenever possible.The stick is for use when you cannot go into the water.
    I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

3. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    well the net i bought has a 3.5 ft radius.
    and as for learning to swap sides, that i WILL do, because that would be very helpful, and i found out that the higher i was was better, i used it off a drain at a little lake in a subdivison. i practiced in the yard for about half an hour then wanted to practice in wanter, so i went to the subdivision, it was pretty cool, i just hope that the fish work :wink:

thank you for all the tips and suggestions Alfred (Peewee williams)

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I think there is a video on the subject in the member library.

5. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
  6. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Thanks for the videos, and welcome to the BOC Wayne

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana

8. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Next thing to learn is how to locate baitfish.... that can be more difficult then learning to throw the net... as for bluegills, I think it easier to just fish for 'em with a hook rather than netting them... and I could be wrong on this, but I'm thinkin' it's illegal to use them if they're netted?

9. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yep, bluegill are illegal to catch in a cast net.

One of the best places to practice with your cast net is in your yard, that way you can concentrate on your form rather than getting wet, getting snagged, etc. Once you get the steps down it is pretty easy to use, just remember you are using centrifical force to throw the net, not brute strength.

10. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I believe that it is best for everyone to start out to learn with a maximum 4 foot radius net no matter what your age is.The reason for this is that a small net is far easier to learn with in my opinion.If you get discouraged,please try to learn with a smaller net before giving up.I realize this is often impossible.Once you have bought a net,"you got it".Folding part of it over your arm often helps.

I am short.5' 7" with short arms.I was raised with a cast net as part of my life.Short folk with with short arms have to work harder to do it with a cast net and work less in the confines of a Submarine.Fact of life and I am living proof.So,if you are small for any reason,you can still do it.I did.I was not called Peewee for nothing as a child.You can do it.You will just have to work harder to learn and to throw the net the smaller you are in my belief.Pro basketball players are built to throw cast nets.

Bream.State laws vary.Often you can use a cast net in a private pond to remove game fish.Often you have to remove excess small Bream from a pond.Check with local pond owners.BE CAREFUL.Do not muddy up their pond!It will kill their fish.Trap them to avoid this.Do not do anything that you are not given permission to do.I say this as a former pond owner.

Now is the time for all to learn to repair your nets,IF you do not already know how.Improperly repaired will often keep it from opening and/or fishing correctly.

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    One thing - starting off with the smaller netis the way to go and developing yer technique will school you fer the larger nets......I could teach you to throw that net in about ten minutes out in the yard.......

12. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    what about perch and things, because thats what i caught friday night, and used those as bait the next day, also some small sunfish. and would going by a dam be a good place to find baitfish?

13. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    sometimes dam walls will hold schools of shad and skipjack so yeah dams are good places to get bait. And when you get the hang of the nets go bigger. i think bigger is better. my dad got a five footer not too long ago and its pretty big. Its much hard to throw than the 3.5 but you do tend to not have to throw it as long because of it being bigger you can get bait quicker. But they are also more expensive. But in my eyes well worth it.

14. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I agree but I use both 7ft and 4ft nets depending on where I am at ....knowing your area comes with time and experience being universal is good:wink:A ole timer once told me the best bait is the natural habbitat bait & go from there!

15. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yes I definately agree with you on depending on where you are at. There are times I wish I had a smaller net, but around here with the wide open water that I do have the big net I think works best. But when i am trying to get bait out of small backwater creeks yeah there are times when I wish I had a small net. And I definately agree with you that the best bait is the natural habitat baits.

16. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Fresh example on the natural bait point... I caught a dozen gills in my lake and headed to the river around 7 pm tonight (last night) I also took a couple dozen minnows with me to catch smallies with while I waited for bite thirty... I kept 6 bass that I caught from the river for bait. I only caught flatties on the bass,, I didn't get so much as a tap on the lake caught blue gills.

17. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Oh I most definately believe that one. I have taken bluegill from ponds to the river and not get a single bite. ANd ill also catch some bluegill around docks on the ohio and fish those right along side the bait from the ponds and just burn the fish up. During the slow summer months when the river has no current I sometimes go catch a bunch of gills out of the river and put river water in the bait tank and keep the gills in the tank until needed. needless to say the river water does take a toll to the smell of the garage :embarassed:

18. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Please check all of your rules and regs often.They change!

ALSO.Learn & know your minnows and ALL other bait.Much of what us old folk used for bait is often illegal now and often on the endangered species list.You can end up with big fines and jail time.You are also responsible for your children's actions with such.Even some Bullheads are now a no no!I got this from State and federal wardens.They check for such.

In my day,all we had to worry about was finding something that the fish would bite.Now a clam in your child's pail can cost you everything that you own and still put you in a federal pen.

You must remember that only folks working with and for our government have been allowed to kill a bucket of endangered Pup Fish with neglect or cut down the oldest known living tree with immunity from prosecution,also to be rewarded for such by our government along with prominent and well known nature organisations.If you do not believe it,check it out.I did.

19. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The taste of the fish that we eat in South East Georgia varies with the bodies of water that they are taken out of.Even spawning migratory saltwater fish such as American Shad and Stripped Bass caught in the various rivers do.

Salt and fresh water fish change taste with the seasons and water temperature.Local Atlantic Oysters and Gulf Oysters taste different and taste different in different seasons to me.The schools of offshore fish migrating North taste different to me than the same ones I caught migrating South.Sheepshead caught up in tidal creeks taste different than the ones caught at offshore platforms.Farmed raised Catfish taste different than wild caught.If humans can taste the difference,fish surly can.

Also,fish often will not bite bait from other waters as well as local waters.They will also at times bite them better.I have caught thousands of fish in my lifetime in some fresh water rivers using saltwater fish and minnows for bait.They were useless for the same 50+ years in another river that I have caught thousands of fish out of.Same with the bait swaps from rivers.

Shrimp for Catfish bait.Atlantic and Gulf caught shrimp taste better to me and I have caught more Catfish on them than the imported shrimp.Fished side by side,I caught more on Native Shrimp.Often when slow,they would only bite Native shrimp and avoid the import.

The best freshwater bait in my belief?Native Grass Shrimp if you can get them!You need wire hooks or panty hose to use them.Even Bass and Pikerel will bite.I can not remember a single fish including American Shad and Mullet that has not bit these tiny shrimp.Fish Candy?I mean great Big fish will often bite them.The small shrimp & hook will go out the gills and snag the fish on the outside at times!

Even keeping pet game fish in a clear flowing well fed dug pond,I found fish to be individuals in their feeding likes.I am talking about fish so tame that my children literally fed them out of their open hands.

20. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Wow thank you peewee for that very well deeply thought out post. I like useing shrimp here as well too. im just limited to useing kroger or wal-mart shrimp. i wish i had the luxury of being able to get shrimp out of the "backyard" and take them to the water. but my kroger and wal-mart shrimp do very well for channels and even small flats.