Cast Net Throwing Pictures

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by Stubby, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    I have to contribute part of this post to Dobie over in Miami Ok because he made me look like an amature throwing a net. I'm getting better though. And there is a knack to throwing a Net---It's called practice. I hope you can read the printing on the pictures. Kast Net Practice 004.jpg

Kast Net Practice 007.jpg

Kast Net Practice 003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2010
  2. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Kast Net Practice 005.jpg

Kast Net Practice 006.jpg

Kast Net Practice 001.jpg

3. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Kast Net Practice 008.jpg

Kast Net Practice 002.jpg

4. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    i need to get 1 of those !! we have a canal here they shut off every yr for winter , the water becomes still water so Game and fish allows us to snagg , net , whatever means as long as it's legal to take the fish .
    thanx's for share'n that info !!

5. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Good info for the cast net newbies, never thought of around the neck!

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Carl thanks for sharing the pics. Looks like your idea works good. Appreciated.

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks Carl, i definitly need to practice more myself. I can throw one perfectly some throws, other times it don't open like it should. I pick up nets at yard sales cheap and can afford to tear one up now an then.

8. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    John, If you can throw a net perfect 75% of the time throwing it good the other 25% is good enough.

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Honestly my biggest prob. is hanging it up on the trolling motor or depth finder. Hopefully i've found a different boat more suited for catfishing. Or will be when i'm done with it anyway.

10. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Heck I found a way to toss a cast net that don't get me wet when it comes in and I never get tired. Showed the young son (aka chief bait handler) how to throw it. I put the chief bait handler up front and let him toss away.

11. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    we use the 4ft. wal mart net also, they are good for catching bait in tight places. we use an eight ft. in the lake , have you got any pictures trowing an eight ft. net?

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Having the rope around your neck may be good for throwing off of your back porch, but in a river with current or a lake with good size fish in it could be hazardous to your health. I know every one has a different way of doing things, but I would never ever put any kind of rope around my neck! :crazy:

13. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    I agree if your fishing the Ohio River like myself! But I figured if he's fishing a lake probably not a big deal most of the time.

14. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i agree that is a good way to get your rope outta the way, but i do not think that the risk is worth the gain from it.
    U seem to be big on "practice, practice, practice" so go ahead and loop that line in your right hand with it tied around your wrist. it might take some getting use to but it can be done.
    I use a 7' net and throw it kind of like u were throwing that one.
    If u have any questions look up "cast net" on you tube and u can see several diff methods of throwing. The one i use is kind of like throwing a frisbie with right hand. For left hand side of boat, i use more of a small net approach and keep the net open, barely spit it and give it some toss

15. RobbHeb

RobbHeb New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i keep the loop at the end of the rope around my left wrist

16. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Your right James. I'm big on practice. Most guys want to throw a net but aren't willing to spend the time to learn how. And, most start with way to big a net for them to handle. I learned to cast a bait reel the same way! Practice with both either hands and pretty soon it comes natural. I knew I'd get a lot of flack from the rope around the neck thing but so what. I can hold the
    rope any way now that I've got the cast down. if when throwing, the rope catches on the net in any way it ruins the throw. Also, I've trimmed all the little string nubs of to the drop lines and super glued the ends. I shake out the net real good after I get ahold of the net, Any snag that catches in the net before the throw ruins the throw (when Learning), after I started getting it down not much bothers my throw. For you guys that don't like the neck thing...OK. For the question about the pictures of the 10/12 foot net. No I don't have--I don't throw that big a net. Usually I don't need more than a dozen shad at a time so if I have to throw 12 times I got enough bait. Guys I respect all your comments and objections-Thanks and Practice!!!
    Carl

17. dobbie

dobbie Member

Good post Carl.We need to go fishing again sometime soon.Dobbie

18. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Ken it certainly would be my pleasure. and, you really did cause me to practice and learn to throw the net. THANKS! Hope you have a super year..

19. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i'm with ya on that, i need more practice also, sometimes it opens like a pro and other times its all hung up, i loop the rope around my left wrist and throw with my right, most of my problem is i get in a hurry and don't take my time, i throw from a dock and the rope gets hung up on the dock or i stand on it:confused2: but practice is key

20. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Carl, That sure is a nice mess of invisible yard shad ur catching there.lol. It sure was a pleasure meeting you and ur family. My wife and daughter where talking just a couple weeks ago about how they enjoyed visiting with you guys that day at Twin bridges. We have a gathering in May at Truman. Heck, I would even to the land of OZ to fish with you.lol. Hope everything is going well for u and Ur's. Till we meet again, rudeopossum and family.