cast net size

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by bigcatkev, Mar 1, 2008.

1. bigcatkev

bigcatkev New Member

State:
    indiana
    Anyone no the legal cast net size limit on the ohio river with ky license

2. Cw606

Cw606 New Member

State:
    Kentucky Ashland
    no clue man you been catching anything lately ima go tomorrow

3. Frank Perez

Frank Perez New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Kevin, I looked all over the Kentucky Dept. of Fish & Wildlife resources website, 2008 Kentucky Fishing and Boating Guide , and I could not find any mention of Cast Nets AND the Ohio River.. Here's the only thing I could find in the KDFW Fishing Regulations :
    • Sport Cast Nets: Maximum sport cast net size is 20 feet in diameter with maximum 1-inch bar mesh statewide except in the following waters. Sport cast nets prohibited in: 1) lakes having fewer than 500 surface acres, 2) any of the streams and tailwaters listed in the “Trout Waters” section of this guide, 3) tributaries of the Cumberland River
    between Wolf Creek Dam and the Tennessee state line except Crocus and Marrowbone creeks where sport cast mesh size must be made of 1-inch bar mesh only, 4) from the mouth of Crocus Creek upstream for 50 yards. All sport fish incidentally taken
    while capturing live bait with seines, dip nets or cast nets must be released immediately
    and unharmed into the water. You might want to call the KDFW INFO LINE: 1-800-858-1549

Good Luck Kevin

Frank

4. bigcatkev

bigcatkev New Member

State:
    indiana
    Hey thanks alot for spending the time and looking. Really appreciate it.

5. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i think your fine with 4, 5, and 6 foot nets. I would look into it a little more because I would think if you were throughing anything over 10 foot you'ed need a cermercial lience. maybe not but i'll ask steve the next time I see him he is game warden that live right down the road from my ol-man.

6. fishrepair

fishrepair New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    KEVIN, THE LEGAL MAX SIZE LIMIT ON CAST NET FOR KENTUCKY ON THE OHIO IS 20 FOOT SPREAD OUT OR 10 FOOT HOLDING IT UP IN YOUR HAND.

7. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i cant wait to start fishin the ohio some this year

8. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i do good to throw my 6 footer much less a 20:crazy:

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    thats good to know thanks

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Page 6 of the Ky Fishing and Boating guide says 20 ft diameter with 1inch bar.:wink: WOW I do good to handle a 10 footer. Most cast net have a # of weight for ea. foot of diameter. I can't imagine trying to throw that much net. The 10 foot net that I have will make you sore in places I forgot I had.
    I been thinking of replacing the 10 I have with an 8 footer.

11. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I throw a 6' net which means 12' when open and it is bear after about 4 throws...I would imagine that a 10' net would take me, the trolling motor and any tackle up front with it to the bottom of the mucky Ohio:eek:oooh:.

12. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    My cast net is 4 ft; all I can handle without throwing myself in the water with the net. I will admit, it sure is alot of fun using it. :wink:

13. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    This is an interesting topic.

Linda, is your net 4' radius or diameter? I have a 3.5' radius that I'm gonna try to make my self learn to use this year; i want to but it's hard for me to quit r & r for baitfish long enough to learn how to castnet for them. But if it's fun like you say I may be sorry i haven't already'taken the plunge' and learned how.

14. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I through a 6 foot net bought from wally world. I was haveing troubles with shad swimming away from it as I let it fall to fill. I later found that by painting the center of the net (about a 1 foot diameter in the middle) black the shad started trying to get out the middle and staying in the net versuse shooting for the out side of it. my catch rate incresed greatly after that.

15. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Hi Larry....Mine ( I think I'm right) is a 4 ft radius opening up to an 8 ft diameter. There is a video on You Tube that helped me more than anything. Practice on dry gound first, then go to the water. Practice, practice, practice. It is an awesome feeling the first time you get the perfect circle!! I guess I'm somewhat of a show-off as I have not seen any other "gals" throwing one....

Linda

16. jogle1023

jogle1023 New Member

State:
    Shepherdsville
    I throw a 20 footer and I have a 10 footer too. The 20 is alot easier to throw, but I can throw either one all day without wearing down. You need to find your own way to throw it. Always the larger ones are easier to throw and if your going to buy one try the better ones.... Good Luck

17. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks Linda. You've inspired me, I'm gonna take the plunge and learn how this year. Then I'll have to learn how to find the baitfish!

18. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

I did like you said and found a couple of good you tube videos and I've thrown my net, which is 3.5' radius, probably a hundred times or more and I'm tossin some pretty good ovals already and a few perfect circles, but it was FUN just learnin how out in the yard; I'm anxious for the river to get down so I can go practice from the dock and then try the big water from my lil' boat! Thanks again Linda.

Now I just gotta find the shad.

19. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    You know what they say...Its not how large your cast net is its how you work it.:roll_eyes:Billy

20. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    hehe, I know I got a lil' net, had it for years and never took it from the box. Since my last post I'm now consistently throwing circles. It's odd, I used the instructions from three different YouTube video's to come up with my technique. I'm pleased because I'm consistent. And I'm already thinking about what to upsize to-probably a 5 or 6 footer...........