Cast net size

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by dcastle, Jul 21, 2007.

1. dcastle

dcastle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What is the ideal cast net size to use? I bought one that is eight feet wide and has a twenty foot throw line. I have practiced and practiced and can't get any where with it. I've had two friends that use these nets and they can't cast this one either. Would one half the size be better?

2. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    i started using a 5ft radius net, they are easy to use and even easier to throw. is your net an 8ft radius or a 4ft radius? If it is an 8footer, you could keep it and practice with it, or you could put that one in storage for a while and get a smaller net that you can learn to throw easier and then move up gradually.

By the way, what type of net is it?

Oh, and welcome to the BOC.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    It's just a matter of learning how to throw it. There are some posts here on the BOC that explain it pretty well, but the best advice is to find someone who knows how to throw a big net and have them show you.

I can throw a big net just fine, but you all can keep the little 4 to 6 ft ones - they don't work for me at all...

The problem with small vs large nets is that the throwing technique is different. Might as well start out learning on the large one. It's frustrating but eventually you'll get the hang of it..

4. dcastle

dcastle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My net is a Super Spreader. 4.0 foot radius 3/8" square mesh premium nylon model 10040. I'd sure appreciate it some one could spare a few minutes of their time to show me how to throw it. I'm almost positive that I'm holding it in the right position but try as I might it won't come close to working for me.

5. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I had a five foot super spreader that I could not throw to save my life, when I replaced the braille lines (lead lines) I found out that my net was not balanced, meaning that the lines were not evenly spaced. After I got the new lines installed and had them correctly postitioned, it threw like a dream, opened full circle everytime.

Aaron

TA2D

6. capmadlee

capmadlee Member

State:
    p hill missouri
    you just have to keep trying till you get it. when i learned i would throw it in the back yard at night. theirs just little tricks to it. make sure to put spin to the net so the weights will spread out. what part of the state are you in?

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I started using the net in the mouth version of throwing because it seemed easier for me. Put the part of the net closest to you in your mouth, take the hand that is towards the water (depends on if you are throwing right or left) and move it down the net a bit. The net itself will be in your other hand sort of folded in half.

Swing it towards the water and give it an ever so slight spin with your forward hand as you let go. It should open up for you.

I've never been able to read a description and figure it out. Look in the video section on here and I think you'll find some info.

I'd stick with your bigger net and just get it mastered.

A Bad throw with an 8ft net is still better than a good throw with a smaller one. A good throw with an 8 footer is even better.

I am using a 10 or 12 footer, I need to measure it some day. All my throws aren't perfect but their not too bad. It used to wear me out but my technique has improved where I don't have to work so hard to throw it.

You'll figure it out. Practice, practice, practice.:big_smile:

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I learned with a small 3 ft radius one and still keep one of those for a backup spare. However, last year, Fastman went out on the boat with me and he had just bought a 5 ft radius and could never get the hang of it. I let him try the small one and to make a long story short, we traded. I now use the bigger one exclusively. Sure, it's a bit harder to throw and most certainly will wear me out quicker, but I average 4-5 times the shad with it. Still keep a little one for back up.

Haven't heard the problems with Super Spreader, thanks for the heads up.

I have a 6 ft radius stored away for the day when I am able to use it. Right now, it's too big for my skill level.

Ask Tea about holding the net in your mouth. You might find yourself NEVER doing that again! LOL

9. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    I throw a 10' bait buster net with 1.5 of weight per foot. It works good below the dam and in faster water because it sinks faster. I leaned on a 10' net with .75 pounds of weight per foot. The lighter net is much eaiser to throw imo. I had a 4 foot net and could throw it, but didn't get near the bait per throw, I mean not even close! I was shown both the "over the shoulder" tech. and the "net in the teeth" tech. I like the "net in the teeth" tech because when throwing the net in Feb. I don't get near as wet. I have become quite fond of different flavors like, Shad/Skoal, Shad/Bud, but my favorite is Shad/Carp/Beef Jerky with a hint of gar!!:smile2:
    Go to the Calusa web site and download their video on throwing nets, very helpful.

10. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Lets not forget where/how you got rid of the coffee/beer/soda. :0a5:

11. Larry69

Larry69 New Member

State:
    Florida
    One of the net makers has a free video demonstration on the internet. Can't remember which one, Calusa I think. I didn't start having any luck until I starting throwing it at a slightly upward angle instead of simply throwing it out level.

Yeah, I just found it, it's on Calusa's site. Not sure if links are allowed. Off to read the rules.

12. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    LOL, yeah Kutter, I know!! I try not to think about it. Maybe I should keep some sort of mouthwash on board...like....Crown?

13. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I learned with a 4 foot net just like you have. I tried the larger nets 1st but couldn't get it so I got the small net and after learning on the small net I can use any size net. However I like the smaller nets best because they are liter and I catch more then enough bait with it. The net you have has a flat lead on it,use that to hold the net with. The one thing I can tell you is when trying to learn how to use a cast net most ppl try to put to much power into there swing. Swing the net nice and lite,when you put to much power into it it will go out to fast and not open.

14. powercat

powercat New Member

State:
    Olathe,Ks/Fish Gravois Mi
    I have seen a lot of ways to throw a cast net but this web site has been the best for me and you don't have to place the net in your mouth. I use the Steve Brown tech. http://www.ausfish.com.au/castnet/. I hope this will be helpful to those learning how to throw a net.

15. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I started on a 4 footer. Once I got the hang of that, I graduated to a 6 footer, which I currently use. I could probably go bigger, but I usually catch all the bait I can use.

16. dcastle

dcastle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I really appreciate all the tips. I watched the videos and they were a great deal of help. I'm doing pretty good with the net now and with a little more practice, I should be able to catch some bait.