cast net salvage

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Nov 15, 2007.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    well i got my first unfixable net setting at home and thought i was going to take it and trash it

well as i threw it in the trash i looked at the rope and said ( i could use that on me new net )

so i dug it out and cut her off

then as i threw it is the trash again i herd the weights hit the bottem and said ( i wonder if those are egg sinkers )

so once again i dug her out and cut em off

48 1 1/4 oz egg sinkers and 46 were salvagable :smile2:

the one and final time and i threw the net in the trash and about $5 worth of rope and about $10 of weights :wink:

not bad for a 20 dollar net :smile2::tounge_out::roll_eyes::sad2::embarassed::eek:oooh::crazy::big_smile::angry:

2. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If you make your own sinkers you could use all of the lead weights off of the old cast net to make sinkers.

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    after the arkansas river has been on a tear i go and look in the rocks and fish out the cast nets i find there.ive have found as many as 3 in one day.

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I like to find the cast nets in rocks too. This summer i found one on the bank that just had a couple of the big mono lines down to the lead line broke and i took it home and fixed it. Now have a great backup if i get my net tangled.

5. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Leroy, at one time, there was a great article in the library here on "castnet repair". I can't remember now, but I used it several times on those cheap walley world nets and made them better at no extra cost. I then did the same as you, save the rope, melt down the weights, ect.
    Good post.

6. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I always keep an extra rope off of a cast net on My boat, comes in handy to tie off to a tree or something or to join to a useable net when those shad go super deep.

I also cut all the lead off the net and melt down for sinkers!

7. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    That is how to make lemonade out of lemons.