Cast Net Safety

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by Fishmaster1203, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    This may be obvious to most, but I keep hearing about people that get their cast net snagged and then go into the water to try to free it.

You should not go underwater to try to get your cast net back. You could very easily get tangled in it and drown. It is not worth losing your life over. :wink:

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Also don't wrap the main line around your wrist if you are in a boat. I know for a fact 45* water hurts even if you are close to the ramp.

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yep you dont have to go underwater to get your castnet enough pulling to the left-right will eventually free it. Thanks for the tips Jim & Paul because i'm plannin on buyin one to try out myself. It makes me so disappointed when i'm sittin on that bank watchin all them hundreds of threadfins jumpin around and me not bein able to catch any..:sad2:

4. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    A 78 year old man drowned about a week ago throwing his net at Mark Twain lake. Not really sure how it happened but watch buttons on your clothes or the rope from your net.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Aj,I know you are new ,so I'll let ya in on a tiny secret. You throw a net enough,You will hang it good enough to do one of two things,loose it entirely, or Tear it to beyond repair. I have many that are near the life span ,But My life aint givin in for any net. I hang up if I cant pull it loose ,I just cut the rope off as close to the water as logically. Then head for the nearest wal-mart.:wink: