Cast net regulations in Virginia

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by flemflamman, Jun 16, 2006.

1. flemflamman

flemflamman New Member

State:
    va
    Am I ok throwing for non game bait fish?

Game fish should be returned is the jist of it right?

Thanks

2. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    That's right from what I understand. I also heard that you are only allowed 50 shad in possession.
    I saw some orientals useing one at Lynnhaven inlet and they put everything they caught in a cooler including undersized crabs and flounder. Where is a game warden when you need one?

3. Ironhead

Ironhead New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I didn't even know there were regulations on cast netting. I will have to look that up. I use mine for bait but I throw back what I don't use. Oh, and about those orientals. They keep everthing they catch no matter what the size. It makes me sick. What I hate the most is they will watch you and slowly keep creep up on you. Just waiting on that moment. You know, when you land a fish. While you are taking it off the hook, you hear a splash. You grit your teeth and look up to discover that you have become the latest victim of one of the worst crimes in fishing. They are fishing in the same spot you just caught your fish in. God I hate that. Makes me wanna hurt people.

4. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    check this out from Member World Discussions sections.
    Trouble at my fishing hole today
    I am not good at writing long storys but here goes...Not long after I arrived at my fishing spot today, a group of 11 Chinese people came over to where I was throwing my castnet..They were all dressed well, drove nice cars, and had cell phones so they were not poor by any means...I was throwing my castnet and catching lots of shad for bait, and this put them in a frenzy! They jumped into the water and were trying to get the shad out of my net before I brought it to shore...Shad were everywhere so my net was full, and they were grabbing them off the ground faster than I could pick them up, two of them were eating the shad raw, it was eveident they wanted them for food..I took all I wanted and they moved away, soon after I caught a channel cat and here they came agin..I landed the channel cat and as I was taking it off the hook they were trying to grab it like hungry dogs, remember these were not poor people..Thats when I lost it!!!!!! I threw my pole down and gave one of them a shove and he landed in the water..I tossed the channel cat back in the river and 4 of them Jumped in after it, agin I lost it..I picked up my 5 gallon bucket which was full of shad and gave it a sling which bounced off several of them, they got the idea I was mad then..I was cussing and screaming at them at the top of my lungs, I wont repeat what I said but they scattered all over the place, I am glad I did not have my handgun with me today, cause it might have came out..A guy who was fishing dwonstream had a cell phone and called the police, I was fishing a public spot in town..5 minutes latter the cops showed up, and they were talking to the chinese which by then had joined back up a few hundred yards away..So the cop walks up to me with one of the chinese who spoke english..I told the officer what happened and to get the S.O.B AWAY FROM ME.The chinese guy asked why I would let fish go, fish food he said..So I picked up my camera and told him, catch, photo, release He gave me a dumb look and walked away...END OF STORY.

That is a story from Flathunter a week or so ago.

5. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I had a similar experience at Lake Brittle last year, except mine did not involve any confrontation or physical contact. I was fishing at night, and a group of Asians showed up and immediately went about collecting what I believe were crawdads and frogs. There were about 15 or so of them, and they broke off into smaller groups going up and down the bank into the water with flash lights, making all sorts of noise. Well, I realize silence is not required for good fishing, but I just could not put up with the talking between groups that were 10 to 15 yards apart from each other, and the flash light beams going every which way. The fish were not biting well, so I decided to leave, though I would have stayed longer had these folks not shown up.

6. Ironhead

Ironhead New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The funniest damn thing I've seen them do is use a can with string wraped arouned it as a pole. The amazing thing is they can throw it a mile.

7. Rapp-Catter-06

Rapp-Catter-06 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I hope none of this is true since I'm chinese. I would hate to think some of my fellow country men have acted this way. I strictly practice catch and release and always treat other fisherman with the utmost respect and curtiousy. Ignorance is not limited to certain races of people. My family moved here 12 years ago to escape a very opressed lifestyle in another country. I'm proud to be a legal us citizen who enjoys fishing and the outdoors. Please don't stereo type all of us. p.s... I have never eaten fish from some ones castnet before it could be put in a bucket and don't know anyone who would. One of these days I will share some of my bubba stories with you. No offense taken.

8. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Matt,

I can't speak to what other posters have said, but what I posted did happen to me, and I am glad to say that was the only time I have experenced anything like that. Like you and others, I have witnessed a lot of crazy things while fishing and it is not limited to any one particular type of person.

9. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    i have witnessed people from all walks of life be total dumba##es while fishing

10. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Each spring I make a few trips to Walkers Dam on the Chickahominy River to catch herring with my kids. I also will run down there for fresh herring if I am striper fishing in the Spring. There are always a good mix of rural Charles City County folks down there of every race and description. Most days will find Asians also enjoying their fishing. A few years ago, I was in a hurry and didn't have time to catch my bait. I asked an older grandmotherly looking Asian lady if she would sell me some fresh herring as she had a bucket full. She told me in very halting english that she would give me the five herring I asked for but that she would not sell them as that was illegal. Nice lady:smile2:

11. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I have alot of good friends here from Laos & Thiland and they would never try to steal fish or mess with another fisherman.....however, they do some wierd things to get fish. They weren't too worried about regulations until they were here awhile and got caught a couple times.

12. Ironhead

Ironhead New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Didn't mean to offend anybody out there. I see all walks, races, and genders of people doing wierd and stupid things out there on the water. I have even contributed myself.

13. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I hear ya! I was fishing near DC one time when a couple drunk guys showed up with what the next days paper said were stolen hand grenades and started throwing them in the water. About the time the third one went off, I bet there were 40 or 50 cops all around them. The guys tried to laugh it off but the law wasn't laughing as they threw them down and dragged them off to jail.
    I've done some pretty stupid stuff myself growing up. I'm suprised my Dad let me live past my 18th birthday!