Cast net regulations in VA

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by Dallison, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've looked everyplace online I could find and have spoken to several people. I'm confused about the cast net regulations.
    Do you need a permit for a cast net?
    What fish are you limited to to catch in one?
    I see people in the local parks casting a little net I'm not sure what they are catching but I imagine little sunfish, perch ect. Is that legal?
    I guess I would like to do the same thing for bait but I don't want to break any laws.
    I actually think I see laws broken all the time but I'm not about to start. I see alot of crazy stuff. This weekend....people fishing hand throwing lines working their way around a little local pond. They can throw a fishing line by hand almost as far as I can cast. I'm sure they didn't have a fishing permit.
    O well.

2. Leftenant

Leftenant New Member

State:
    NC
    To my knowledge, the only fish you can keep from a cast net are what VA considers non-game fish. I think, but don't quote me on this, that you can also keep white perch caught in a cast net from the tidal section of the James River. Bluegill, Bream & Crappie are all considered game fish, so you can't keep them. I also think that there is a limit of ten shad in posession on the James River. Hope this helps. The only permit that you need is your normal fishing liscense. Icould be wrong on some of these points, so my best advice is to talk to your local game warden.

Sincerely,
    David

3. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia

Is that per person? or total on the boat?:0a28:

4. Leftenant

Leftenant New Member

State:
    NC
    I think what I read is 10 Per person.