Cast net regs

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by tbull, Aug 7, 2008.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Just a quick question since I apparentley cannot compute this in my head. State law says you cannot use a throw net larger than 10ft in diameter...Now is this the distance across when the net is open? Say I have a net that says 7 ft on the box, is that within regs? Or would it be to large once it opens up? :eek:oooh:

2. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Travis ... I just bought a net a while back and it says on the box ... 5 feet radius .... which would be a 10 ft net .... I have always heard the net size referred to a what the radius is .... i.e., a 5 ft net has a 10 ft diameter .... Hope this helps .... Garry-

3. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would say they mean radius ( open), Have you opened the net up and mesured it spread out? Most of the time when you buy a throw net the box has the radius size on it. My guess would be your fine , but you should open it up in the yard and measure the radius to be sure.
    Matt AKA DESODE

4. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    If the net is a 7 foot radius then it would be a 14 foot diameter, which would be illegal. Now if it is a 7 foot diameter the radius would be 3.5 feet and it would be fine. Just remember guys radius is only half the distance across the diameter of a circle.

5. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Travis is always tryin to get away with something illegal:smile2:. Where did you get that net from anyways?

6. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    All the nets I have got around here all give the size from center to the weights (radius) the diameter is all the way across when opened. So in Ohio a 5ft net or 5ft radius is the largest you can use legally.

7. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    IF YOUR NET HAS A RADIUS LARGER THAN 5 FEET IT IS ILLEGAL IN OHIO.
    JUST HOLD IT BY THE HORN( PLASTIC RING IN THE CENTER) AND MEASURE DOWN TO THE LEAD LINE THIS WOULD BE THE RADIUS.

8. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I was fishing with some losers who were gonna throw it away because it was ripped, so I repaired it. I wish I had the kind of money of those guys I fished with and didn't have to worry about things like that....:roll_eyes::smile2:

9. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    soooo, we established the Ohio law, now, a hypothetical question....suppose an Ohio Resident, has a Ky License so he can fish more then 2 rods on the Ohio and is on the Ohio river, what size net can he throw?? Does anyone know what the size limit for KY is? Im guessing since there really are no laws to protect fish in Ky that any size is legal. Anyone?? Sorry to hijack the thread but I know Tbull fishes the Ohio so this might be pertinant.

Part 2, can he throw that bigger net up the Ohio tribs ( Ohio Side) up to the first riffle/obstruction??

Salmonid

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i think garry is right, diameter 110 ft.:smile2: who cares about the rest! The illegal liners are running nets longer than that:roll_eyes::tounge_out::eek:oooh::confused2: rollo

11. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Ohio is a five foot radius
    Kentucky is a 10 foot radius
    If you go up into a trib on the Ohio River on Ohio waters you have to throw the 5 foot radius.

As long as you are on the Ohio River and carry a Kentucky license you can throw the 10 foot radius, I carry both on my boat and there are times when I wish I could throw that 10 footer in Ohio waters, it just gathers a ton of bait in one throw..............Doc