Cast net problem

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by okiecop, Jul 10, 2006.

1. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    I was pulling my cast net back in and it got hung up on some under water obstical. when i finally got the net back i noticed that the weights on one side of the net would not hang correctly. aslo the mono that leads to the weight on the affected side is kinked up. any help on how to straighten this out would be great.

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Ray, can you get a pic and post it for us to look at. We may be able to help you a little better that way.

3. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Ray, my guess is that the mono going to the weights is off a little bit. Check the mono on the net, do the mono strings go up to the top of the net and through something, then turn back around and go to the opposite side of the net? I had one that did that, and whenever it would hang on something, I'd pull it out of whack. You're gonna have to feed each mono line back through and even it back up. I'm not making sense, am I? Oh heck, you'll see what I'm talking about.

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    If you throw a cast net at all, you will be repairing it frequently. I buy at least one a year because after they've been repaired a bunch of times they will get to the point that they won't open all the way. Lay it flat on the ground and look at all the drop lines (braille lines maybe?), they should be evenly spaced around the perimeter of the net. If some of these have been ripped off, they will have to be retied(evenly around the net). In addition to those lines getting ripped off, you will have to make repairs to the mesh from being torn. If the rope around the bottom is hanging loose anywhere, you will have to retie this to the mesh as well(or your bait will fall right back into the water when you pull your net up). Hope this helps.

5. buzz crackstock

buzz crackstock New Member

State:
    Springfield, IL
    I have the same "problem" with my 5ft super spreader. Except that I loosened up the crush sleeve a bit so that this would purposely happen. This keeps the net from ripping or breaking a string if it does get hung up. The crush sleeve is the metal tube that is just under the swivel that the main rope is tied to. It keeps the strings all together and in the same spot. What I do is hold the net up by the main rope and see which of the strings is the highest. Grab that string and follow it up to the crush sleeve then pull it back through a bit till it is no longer higher than the rest. Keep doing this till they are all close to even. Don't try to get them all exactly perfect or you'll spend too much time fixin it instead of throwing it. And if you do bust a string you can just tie it back together and put a little duct tape around the knot to keep it from snagging on the net. Then when you get home you can replace that broken string with a piece of heavy cheap line. I use 80 lb cheap stuff from wally world.

6. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    sounds like the mono got stretched or bunched up at the top where it all meets....i had the same problem one time and after i found out which strand of mono it was i replace it and haven't had a problem with that net since

7. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    nathen i think that you hit the nail on the head. That crush tube is hard to feed the line back up thru . I am just going to figure out how to lossen it up to straighten every thing out and then cinch it back down again. thanks alot for the help everybody. this is what make this such a great site is all the help that a person can find. thank you all very much.

8. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Definately been stretched out, if it is bad enough you can try shorting that side to match up with the other.

9. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    There is some very good articles in the Libiary on this site that goes in depth on your problem. Just used it a while back to replace all my braille lines on a net I was gonna toss. Followed the instructions and the net worked fine.

10. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    I am on my second net myself so good luck.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If the brail lines are streched, you will have to cut them to the correst length, then retie them, alot of time they break just retie them..I just buy new nets:big_smile:

12. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Buy a new one thats what i do about once or twice a year there to mmuch of a pain to repair and they never work the same after u repair it IMO

13. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I have an article in the Library how to redo a cast net with pics.
    It sounds to be that you don't have a "bunch" up problem.... I would think you would have mentioned that. That tells me that the crimp is not as tight as it should be, and the mono on that one side has pulled through the crimp makeing it "lop sided".

Try this.... put the opposite side of the net that got snagged on something to hold it at home... like a snag only controlled. Try pulling against it just like when you were snagged to see if you can pull the mono lines back into the proper place. (The bumper of your car may work).

If this works, your going to need to crimp down that crimp good so that it does not continue to happen, other wise it happen every time you catch a snag.

Hope this helps!