Cast Net Modifications- Anyone?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by SubnetZero, Aug 8, 2007.

1. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I was surfing around the net and stumbled on some shrimp forum..
    They were talking about putting duct tape or lawn chair webbing above their lead lines to keep their cast nets open wider and longer to catch more shrimp..

Not sure if it would work for shad/blue gills.. Anyone do that to their cast nets?

2. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    not sure if I understand the concept. Seems like it would be in the way of normal net operation.

I've netted a few shrimp in my day and one trick I've used is to spray paint approx the top 1-2 ft of the net black (shrimping at night). When the net is open it appears to be a hole in the center of the net and the shrimp swim to the dark spot thinking it's an escape route...prolly would work on baitfish too.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Tim, that is done to catch shrimp in deep holes, and works well enough that the practice has been outlawed already in some areas. The tape around the circumference causes extra drag, slowing the net down, but causing it to open to max diameter and stay there. A net without the tape will close up some as it sinks in deep water, due to the drag of the webbing, or at least that is the thinking behind it all. As for catching bait fish, I'm afraid the slow descent might allow the fish to escape. I use one occasionally in cold weather to get bait shrimp, but haven't tried it for bait fish.

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Thanks, I was thinking that it would slow the net down and let bait fish escape, but figured I'd ask .. Read where they changed the laws and made it legal now in some places where it was illegal....

5. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I use duct tape on the nets used for shrimp but if going for bait fish the tape will spook the fish.