Cast net modification.

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by BigRoo, Jul 27, 2009.

1. BigRoo

BigRoo New Member

State:
    Poca,West Virginia
    Has anyone ever tried to add weight to your net for a faster sink rate to use in deeper and faster water? Here in West Virginia we are limited to a 3 foot radius net and all the nets that I found in that radius only have three quarters of pound of weight per foot of net, the better and larger nets have one and a half pounds per foot. I bought a Betts Tyzac net (3 foot radius) these nets are meant for shallow slow water applications so I thought I could add some weight. Any ideas would very helpful. Thanks,Phil :confused2:

2. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've been toying with the idea of adding some large split shot all the way around one of my net. I think I got it from Walmart, and have realized the difference in performance compared to other higher quality nets I have owned.

3. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I think I added some to one by drilling out some egg sinkers, then cutting them open, prying a litte farther and then crimping them over the outside string between the other weights.

We have the same sort size law here.

4. BigRoo

BigRoo New Member

State:
    Poca,West Virginia
    Hey Josh
    Did adding the weight help the performance of your net.? Phil

5. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
    get some big rubber core sinkers take rubber out and pinch them on.

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Never really had much problems with the 3 footer I bought from walmart in my area.

7. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    i've added weight to 6 ft nets using old weights off of an old torn up one. just tie them inbetween the existing ones with heavy mono

8. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I've always wondered this also. I have a Bass Pro net with 1lb per ft. I would like to add some weight to mine, but do not want to hinder the performance of it opening!

I would love to hear some "expert" opinions on adding weight

9. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    when adding weight, spread out on floor evenly, and distribute weight evenly. think of it as a clock face. start at 12 then 3 then 6 then 9oclock. you want to keep the balance. i would try 2oz bank sinkers, wired to those points. if more is needed, leave what you got, step down to 1oz banks and fill in evenly again. careful not to add to much to fast, can be too heavy at one point. takes some tuning.

10. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I have an old 3 foot net that I added weight to once. I destroyed 3 nets and it was my last resort net. I took them from one of the other nets that was completely trashed. I was still able to throw it and get it to open but it aint near as easy. It will also wear you out quick if you are throwing a lot, searching for shad. Still never got good results in deep water, even with 2 lb of weight per foot and 40 foot of rope. Even tried the duct tape trick. I never caught any more shad with it after I modified it than I did before and never caught deep water shad with it. I also did not catch near the shad in it that I do with a bigger net. I have found that no matter what I do to a small net to make it better, a bigger net always works better. Thankfully we can use as big of a net as we want in KS, so I got another 7' net. The 3 foot net basically sits in the boat as an emergency net now.

11. Blind In Texas

Blind In Texas New Member

State:
    Houston, T-E-X-A-S
    Walmart nets suck. First snag and a whole bunch of it unravels. Academy carries nets that are tied mesh. The Academy net's mesh is also much easier to repair with surgeons knots.

12. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    Please stay with me on this. I was going on a 3 day trip and grabbed a Bass Pro net on the way for a backup net. When I got home, I opened the plastic box and went to hang the net and allow the lines to straighten. Well, the net was so much lighter than the Betts net of same size that I read the box to check the weight. The box said,"1 pound per RADIUS foot". So, a 5 foot net would have 5 lbs of weight. Radius is the key word. It was much lighter than the Betts I normally use. Is the 1 lb number we look for supposed to be radius or diameter (5'er is 10' diameter so 10 lbs) . Help! Oh, if adding weight, I would use those old time sinkers with a tab on each end that can be folded over maybe. The BP net had some kind of large weight that looked strange. Not really to happy with BP.