Cast net Laws ?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by perrycounty.in, Sep 19, 2009.

1. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Does anyone know where i can find the laws on using a cast net in Indiana? Ive looked but have yet to find anything on it.

2. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What exactly do you need to know?

3. perrycounty.in

State:
    Indiana

What is legal and what is illegal to use from a cast net. I believe i know what you can use but iv'e never seen it in writing.

is't there only a few fish that you can catch in a cast net and use for bait?

4. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    yes.. only a few.. from public waters. no game fish

dont get caught netting gills:smile2::smile2:

you can downnload the fishing regulations at http://www.in.gov/dnr/2347.htm its in pdf format

says its on page 14 of 44, but if you got the actual book, its on page 12 i think.

do you have a specific fish your talking bout?

5. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Oh man! Are we going to open this up again LOL!!!:crazy:

How many of us tried to get an answer from the COs from different parts of the state & still never got a real answer!?!

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thats what I was thinking... I seen this thread earlier lol

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  7. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    is that on Indiana waters you are aloud a 5' net on the ohio river you are only aloud a 4' or 4 1/2' foot net cant remember. Thats why I just buy a Kentucky fishing licence. I believe blue gill are far game in Kentucky you might want to check that though.

8. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    is that you are aloud a 5 ft. net on Indiana water, but on the ohio river you are only aloud either a 4' or 4 1/2' net on the ohio river. Thats why I buy a Kentucky fishing licence. Also I believe blue gill are fare game in Kentucky, might want to check that though.

9. perrycounty.in

State:
    Indiana
    according to page 14. skipjack is legal to net what about perch. I also had no idea you couldnt' use live gizzard shad as live bait and for all them trotline guys you are only allowed 1 trotline at a time well i know everyone who trotlines probally breaks that law then. I get confused everytime i read hunting and fishing regulations cause if you go to another page they contradict the page before. I don't think they even know what the laws are sometimes!!!!!! :confused2:

10. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    So does the DNR... seriously. The laws we're made at a pot party back in the 70's. Here's what I come up with.... catch and use anything you want in your net EXCEPT game, sport or endangered fish and you'll be safe. Ya can't use live carp or shad. (Live shad is only legal in Brookville reservoir)

11. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    It's good to stay educated on the laws... good post!

12. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    release it. I saw someone caught a shovelnose yesterday & we didn't know if it was the sturgeon that was protected or not. He agreed to release it at my suggestion.:wink:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  13. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    YOU MEAN ITS ILLEGAL TO NET BLUEGILLS!!! i DONT BELEIVE THAT FOE ONE SECOND!!!!:confused2:

14. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    i bet next your gonna tell me if im ever caught netting bluegills im gonna have to pick up 3 bags of trash too!!! You guys dont know nothing!!!:angry::cool2:

15. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Heck Shane, if theyre already here illegaly, why obey laws? :wink:

16. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    is there a post missing that I didn't see?:confused2: lol

17. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah! I think one went missing myself

18. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i do believe that a bluegill caught out of public water in the state of indiana is illegal in the castnet. ive never paid enough attention to it. and i use gills i catch out of my net cuz the gamewarden would have a hard enough time proving i didnt catch them on rod and reel. however since i dont know the law when i fish a tourney with a polygraph i will not use a gill i caught in the cast net.

19. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I thought you were refering to a past story of yours about some funny speaking tan individuals who were castnetting with oversized nets and keeping eveything in sight, untill the DNR showed up at the IPL dam, and they all went for a lil ride. :smile2:

20. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    be wrong but I think someone had to pick up trash for keeping blue gills.