Cast net laws in Kentucky?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by tanner, Apr 25, 2006.

1. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    just wondering if there are any laws here in kentucky regarding cast nets.

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    good ? tanner.i was wondering the same thing,my other half bought me a cast net last week for my birthday and i was wanting to go to the greenup locks and dam to get some shad.we'll both find out the answer before long!!!

3. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    i sure hope so! would like to use it today.

4. claycntyjoe

claycntyjoe New Member

State:
    Northern Kentucky
    Hope this helps. Click on LIVE BAIT and it will drop you down to this.

http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/fishboat06a.asp?lid=1340&NavPath=C128C168#LIVE%20BAIT

Sport Cast Nets: Maximum sport cast net size is 20 feet in diameter with maximum 1-inch bar mesh statewide except in the following waters. Sport cast nets prohibited in: 1)lakes having fewer than 500 surface acres, 2) any of the streams and tailwaters listed in the KDFWR “Kentucky Trout Waters” section of this guide, 3) tributaries of the Cumberland River between Wolf Creek Dam and the Tennessee state line except Crocus and Marrowbone creeks where sport cast mesh size must be made of 1-inch bar mesh only, 4) from the mouth of Crocus Creek upstream for 50 yards.
    All sport fish incidentally taken while capturing live bait with seines, dip nets or cast nets must be released immediately and unharmed into the water.

<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">No live fish, live bait fish or live bait organisms that are not native or established in Kentucky waters shall be bought, sold, possessed, imported, or in any way used or released into waters of this Commonwealth. Blueback herring are not native to

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    thanks for the info,i was looking for it!!! that clears it up,i'm gonna go get some bait!!!

6. claycntyjoe

claycntyjoe New Member

State:
    Northern Kentucky
    Looks like they have eased up on the cast net rules a little.

It used to be a 3/8" mash minimum which would let medium sized minnows and some small shad escape before you can get the net back in.

7. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    thanks for that info bro! great searching!

8. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    20 foot diameter? WOW. here in indiana the max is 10 foot. I have a question then. If i am catching bait in the ohio river and I have a Indiana resident fishing license and a Kentucky non-resident can i follow kentucky rules? B/c 20 foot would be excellent. I've also heard that kentucky doens't have a pole limit and indiana has a three pole limit. I would love to take out 5-6 poles and a 20 foot cast net!

9. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    you can have out as many poles as you want here as far as i know...kentucky just doesn't seem to strict about there fishing laws....which is fine with me.

10. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If you are in Indiana waters (up there creeks, rivers ect.) then you have to go by there laws. If you are out in the main river (Ohio) then you can go by which ever liscense you have. Up our creeks ect, (Kentucky) you have to obide by Kentucky laws.