cast net info i found out today

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by johndeere nut, Oct 5, 2009.

1. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    so apparentlty in the state of kentucky you cant cas a cast net within 200 yrds of a dam or tailwater i talked to a conservation officer today i had heard rumors it was a 100 ft but found out 200 yrds guess i wont be going back to taylorsville and castnetting at the tailwaters for shad anymore. dont want to break any rules just thought i would pass this along:wink:

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Is this a new rule or just one that nobody has ever enforced much. I know I've seen many, many people using cast nets below Barkely and Kentucky dams. Some of them are friends at that. Thanks.

3. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    the rule doesn't only aply to the cast nets ether if im not mistaken. i dont think you are aloud to use, trotline, limbline or jug lines with in 200 yds of the dam ether. also i think there is a minimum size of the body of water you can castnet, trotline, limbline, or jug line. i could be wrong but i believe that it was 500 acres.

4. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    heres what the reg book says about taking bait with nets and the jug lines and what not. not a lot of people actually have read or know about the minimum distance from the dam and size of the lake requirements.

this is the reg book link: http://fw.ky.gov/pdf/09fishguidefishingregs.pdf

Live bait may be taken with the following
    gear:
    • Dip Nets: Maximum size of 3 feet in
    diameter is legal in the Ohio, Tennessee
    and Mississippi rivers, Cumberland
    River below Barkley Dam, Kentucky
    River below Lock No. 14, and all lakes
    having 1,000 or more surface acres.
    • Minnow Traps: Maximum legal size
    statewide: 3 feet long, 18 inches in diameter,
    1-inch openings for catching.
    • Seines: Maximum legal size statewide:
    10 feet long, 4 feet deep, ¼-inch mesh.
    Maximum legal size in the Ohio and
    Mississippi rivers and Kentucky and
    Barkley lakes: 30 feet long, 6 feet deep
    and ¼-inch bar mesh.
    • Sport Cast Nets: Maximum sport cast
    net size is 20 feet in diameter with
    maximum 1-inch bar mesh statewide
    except in the following waters. Sport
    cast nets prohibited in: 1) lakes having
    fewer than 500 surface acres, 2)
    within 200 yards of a dam, 3) any of
    the streams and tailwaters listed in the
    “Trout Waters” section of this guide,
    3) tributaries of the Cumberland River
    between Wolf Creek Dam and the
    Tennessee state line except Crocus and
    Marrowbone creeks where sport cast
    mesh size must be made of 1-inch bar
    mesh only, 4) from the mouth of Crocus
    Creek upstream for 50 yards.
    All sport fish incidentally taken
    while capturing live bait with seines, dip
    nets or cast nets must be released immediately
    and unharmed into the water.

SPORT FISHING TROTLINES,
    JUGGING and SET LINES (LIMB
    LINES)
    (301 KAR 1:410; KRS 150.010)
    A sport fishing trotline is a line
    with no more than 50 single or multibarbed
    baited hooks that must be at least
    18 inches apart. A sport fishing trotline
    must be set at least three feet below the
    water’s surface. Jugging is fishing with a
    single baited line attached to any floating
    object. A jug line may have no more
    than one single or multi-barbed hook. A
    set line is a line with one single or multi
    barbed hook. It may be attached to a tree
    limb, tree trunk, bank pole or other stationary
    object on the bank of a stream or
    impoundment.
    One person may use no more than
    two sport fishing trotlines or 50 jug lines
    (per boat) or 25 set lines at any one time.
    Each sport fishing trotline, jug line or set
    line must be: 1) permanently labeled with
    the name and address of the user; 2) baited,
    checked and all fish removed at least
    once every 24 hours; 3) removed from
    water, bank or tree when fishing ceases.
    Prohibited Areas: Sport fishing
    trotlines, jug lines or set lines may
    not be used within 200 yards below any
    dam. Sport fishing trotlines, jug lines or
    set lines are not allowed in Department
    owned/managed lakes having less than
    500 surface acres, except those located
    on Ballard and Boatwright WMAs.
    No sport fishing trotlines are allowed
    within 700 yards below Kentucky Dam,
    the area between Barkley Dam and U.S.
    62 bridge, or below the following Ohio
    River dams from the face of the dam to
    the end of the outer lock wall: Smithland,
    Newburgh, Cannelton, Markland,
    Meldahl and Greenup; McAlpine
    downstream to the K&I railroad bridge;
    J.T. Meyers (Uniontown) to the end of
    the outer lock wall and that portion of
    the split channel around the southern
    part of Wabash Island from the fixed
    weir dam to the first dike.

5. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    wow thats a piece of information im glad i found out about. i use my cast net about everytime i go down below markland dam out by what we call the shad wall. because when the skips are in thick you can catch them in the net off of that thing. guess i better be careful for now on :embarassed:

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston

" Sportcast nets prohibited in:
    1) lakes having fewer than 500 surface acres,
    2) within 200 yards of a dam, "

So Bryan,
    How's it feel to know you've been hanging out with hardened criminals??
    ...W

7. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    LOL, yeah especially the ones that live in Henderson? LOL This is a normal practice here in Tennessee. We cast net often below Cheetham Dam and I know a lot of our members use them below Barkely and Kentucky dams. I'd be curious to hear the reasoning behind that particular law.

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    200 yds. isn't very far!!! I would think most of the walls below the dams are that long. The rivers below that would be fair game . Wouldn't it????:confused2:

9. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Laws like that are pretty much imposed on dumb dumb ignorant enthusiast that doesn’t have a clue of what they are doing. There are also those that abuse nature for personal gain no matter what the effect on the wildlife and ecosystem.
    I believe that you will be fine to continue to cast your net just like you have been doing since you respect nature and do not abuse. If you are confronted by an enforcement person, plead ignorance and politely move away from there. :cool2::wink:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  10. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i agree ken, the wall at the greenup dam is much longer than that i would think.

personally i think that it could be a safety thing. if one person has gotten killed by throwing a cast net or whatever by falling in, or getting their boat capsized. the law makers will pass a law in order to save money from a lawsuit. literally in todays society, they have to pass laws to protect the state and people from dumb @$$es that sue or will kill them self by their stupid antics. JMO.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I guess I'm not to old to learn yet. Because you guys have taught me today. I was not aware of that regulation. Thanks.

12. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    yeah i dont believe that it is heavily enforced at all i had been told this law but never saw it and never saw it at any of the dams or tailwaters on the boards that they post rules.dosent really make sense to me but i found out the rules yesterday so thought i would pass it on just so you knew think i might continue to cast as i normally would and plead insanity if they come up to me hey might work never know:wink:

13. Scott C.

Scott C. Member

State:
    NKY
    If I'm thinking about the same wall you are forget about the net. Just being close to that wall is an expensive ticket (red-line rule)...

You're not allowed to fish and I assume throw a net inside the lock approach either which is where the calm water and usually tons of bait are (not that I haven't been guilty of doing that once or twice :wink:.)

I didn't read through all of the regs that were posted but I know there are some regarding the size net you throw too although I'd never buy anything smaller than an 8 footer... some things are just worth the risk.:roll_eyes:

14. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Depends on which set of regs. you look at.
    • Sport Cast Nets: Maximum sport cast net size is 20 feet in diameter with maximum 1-inch bar mesh statewide except in the following waters. Sport cast nets prohibited in: 1) lakes having fewer than 500 surface acres, 2) any of the streams and tailwaters listed in the “Trout Waters” section of this guide, 3) tributaries of the Cumberland River between Wolf Creek Dam and the Tennessee state line except Crocus and Marrowbone creeks where sport cast mesh size must be made of 1-inch bar mesh only, 4) from the mouth of Crocus Creek upstream for 50 yards.

http://fw.ky.gov/0910fishguide.asp

15. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Here is the law on cast nets for bait.
    301 KAR 1:130. Live bait for personal use.

RELATES TO: KRS 150.010, 150.170, 150.175, 150.340, 150.450, 150.990

STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 150.025

NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 105.025 authorizes the department to promulgate administrative regulations to regulate creel and possession limits of fish, including the size or types of devices used for taking fish and the places where the taking of fish is permitted. This administrative regulation establishes the procedures for the taking of live bait for personal use.

Section 1. Definitions. (1) "Live bait" means minnows, shad, herring, crayfish, salamanders, frogs except bullfrogs, tadpoles, native lampreys, Asiatic clams, and aquatic organisms except mussels.

(2) "Minnows" means fishes under six (6) inches in length, except blackside dace, palezone shiner, relict darter, duskytail darter, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, Kentucky bass, redear sunfish, rock bass, trout, crappie, walleye, sauger, pikes, white bass, yellow bass, striped bass, and muskellunge, or any hybrids of the above.

(3) "Sport fisherman" is defined in 301 KAR 1:410(6).

Section 2. Live bait shall be taken with the following gear for personal use. Other species except live bait taken with this gear shall be returned immediately to the water:

(1) Seine:

(a) Maximum size shall be ten (10) feet long, four (4) feet deep, one-fourth (1/4) inch bar mesh, with taking permitted statewide; and

(b) Maximum size shall be thirty (30) feet long, six (6) feet deep, one-fourth (1/4) inch bar mesh, with taking permitted in Ohio and Mississippi Rivers and Kentucky and Barkley lakes.

(2) Minnow trap: Maximum size shall be three (3) feet long, eighteen (18) inches in diameter, one (1) inch openings for catching, with taking permitted statewide.

(3) Dip net: Maximum size shall be three (3) feet in diameter, with taking permitted in Ohio, Tennessee, and Mississippi Rivers; Cumberland River below Barkley Dam; Kentucky River below Lock #14; and all lakes over 1,000 acres.

(4) Sport cast net: The maximum size shall be twenty (20) feet in diameter, one (1) inch bar mesh, with taking permitted statewide except for:

(a) Streams stocked with trout, which include statewide streams, national forest streams, seasonal catch and release streams, and the Fort Campbell and Fort Knox military reservations that are cited in the List of Streams Stocked with Trout, 2008;

(b) Lakes with a surface area of less than 500 acres; and

(c) Crocus and Marrowbone Creeks, Cumberland County.

1. Crocus Creek shall be closed to cast nets for an area extending from its mouth to fifty (50) yards upstream.

2. All other tributaries of the Cumberland River below Wolf Creek Dam to the Tennessee state line shall be closed to cast nets.

16. bigcat daddy

bigcat daddy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    well i gusse you learn someting new ever day lol have fun