Cast Net Help ?

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by koakley1, Oct 8, 2007.

1. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Getting ready to buy a cast net, I noticed some are made of mono and some are nylon. Which one is better.

2. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    mono they will last longer and take a lot less care

3. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I personally like the mono net. I've never had a nylon one,but have heard that mono is the only way to go. I guess it's a matter of personal preference.

4. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I like mono.they work good for me.

5. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    :0a26:I HAVE A NYLON ONE , IF YOU ARE GOING TO THROUGH ON SAND BARS AND PLACES WHERE THERE IS NO STRUCTURE THEY WORK GOOD. OTHER WISE ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING GETS TANGLED IN THEM.

6. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Mono's the way to go. Just hang em up and let em dry after you use it.:big_smile:

7. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    all th ones I ever use is mono, found a nylon one once, found out y they left it, it sticks to everything. I tossed it out an it hung on a stick, an left it. MONO. dont wanna go more than a 6' radius, to hard to learn to throw one bigger, IMO.

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    IF you don't know how to throw one get a small one or your gonna get real frustrated.Smaller nets are easier to throw and alot less frustrating.......the bigger the net the harder to cast. I use mono 3/8-4ft??? and they are simple once you get er down

9. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mono is the way to go. Later Andy

10. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i prefer the nylon they seem to hold up better for what i do than the mono ones, they seem to tear easy

11. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I throw a betts super pro 10' net and it is the best net I have ever seen. it has 1.3lbs of lead per foot of net and once you get the throwing down it opens up to a perfect 20' circle everytime. It is made of high quality mono that is very strong and soft. Here is a video link on how to throw a big cast net, I had to watch it about 10 times before I got it right but it works very well.

http://www.calusa.com/howtothrow.cfm

12. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey, Thanks for all the info guys it has been very helpful. Now i'll go buy one and practice in the yard.

13. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    It is a good idea to practice. I have never used a nylon net but it does seem like the mono ones hold up pretty good. I have torn mine no doubt but they are fairly easy to repair and if you are careful enough they don't tear humungus holes. There are some good tips for repair and for preping your net for use in the members library. Good luck.

14. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    mono, i bought a 5' radius and didnt know how to throw it, i could never throw it like JW does or how it says to in the instructions, i have a different way, wind up all the rope put it in ur hand, grab the top of the cast net with the same hand that has the rope, now grab the net about a foot and a half down from where ur already grabbing it, put this in the same hand too, now take the net and put a piece inbewteen the lead weights in your mouth, now grab another piece inbewteen the lead weights and hold that in your hand, now throw it, sounds really confusing but eventually i will post some pictures on how to do it

15. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas

woah a 10' radius net? is that 100$ or what? plus i think there illegal to be that big here

16. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas

You forgot to mention the part about opening your mouth, you do open your mouth dont you?:smile2:

17. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.

I think it was somewhere around $160 but its well worth it. Its not illegal here, some people throw 12' nets also its not the radius, its the length from the horn to the lead, its radius is 20'

18. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    I have a mono net. Id'e say it works great but I can't get the hang of the dang thing! One of these days....

19. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've been practicing in the yard and get it to open up nice about 1/3rd of the time. By the time spring gets here I should be good, I'll never buy bait again!

20. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    I'm sold on the Betts Old Salt Mono.