cast net demo at CCC meeting = good day at LNM

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Bill Smith, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Bill Smith

Bill Smith New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I usually use a 5 ft. cast net to catch bait but after the April meeting of the Carolina Catfish Club where how to throw 8 ft cast nets was deminstrated I had to have one. Went to Lake Norman Saturday evening and lost my 5 ft net before I caught any bait. Got the new never thrown 8ft out and 3 bad throws and 1 good one I had bait.

Fished above 150 around the 3 islands from 6:30pm to 8:45 - 9 blues, one flathead and alot of wind. 11lb8oz was the biggest but all were 5lbs or better.

Thanks CCC :big_smile:

2. mhedrick

mhedrick Member

State:
    NC
    I've been using 9' and 10' nets for the past several years, and they seem to catch bait 10:1 v/s the smaller nets. A 10' net has 4x the surface area that a 5' net has. Calusa Nets has a good online video on how to throw them.

3. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I should have went. I threw a cheap 8' for a year, alot of hit and miss. one day it got hung up so I ran got another. all they had was a 6 ft so I got it. it throws like a dream. I wonder if I go get a high quality 8' if it will throw better. The way bait has been latly I need a 20 footer...with 1/16 mesh, darn minows. They say big bait on alcoa end of lake, I fish from BSR thats about 10 bucks in gas away(round trip) I guess I need to put little boat in to go get bait because the pontoon really uses the gas.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks to Tomahawk, Billfish76, and Mudkip for demonstrating their techniques for throwing the nets. I am glad to hear that someone learned something from the presentation.

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
  6. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc

Yeah Jerry, the high priced nets definitely throw better. Also, they're heavier, so they sink faster and catch more bait, especially in deeper water. The EGO nets are the best I've seen for the money. If you look on EBAY you can get an 8 footer for around $75 or so. I will tell you though, the pricey nets ain't one bit better at dodging stumps!