Cast Net Braille Line Repair

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Whistler, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Original post made on April 7, 2004

Castnet Repair
    The Main Lines and Patching Holes
    By kccats (Chris Sheafer)

Well, your cast net has snagged one too many rocks or brush piles and you have broken your main lines. You have retied them, but now the net just don't work like it did when it was new. Also, those holes you got in your net are causing more and more snag ups because they catch snags so you better repair them now before you completely destroy your net!

It's time to replace those main lines and get you back to better shape then you were when it was new.

Materials needed...
    1) 150 lb braided limb line
    2) A pair of seizers
    3) A sharp knife
    4) A ceiling fan or a plant hanger hook anything you can use to tie your cast net to the ceiling)
    5) Enough area under what ever you’re going to hang the castnet from to spread out your cast net flat on the floor.

Parts of the cast net
    You need to know these terms since I will be using them.
    1) Net (obvious)
    2) Braille Lines: These are the main lines that run down
    the inside of your net and are tied to the bottom.
    3) Crimp: A metal crimp that bundles the braille lines
    together just below the spacer.
    4) Spacer: It has 12 holes in it and the braille lines run through it.
    5) Swivel: This is at the end of your casting rope and the braille lines run through it.

OK, your ready to start
    1) Spread out your net inside out. Observe the braille lines that are tied to the bottom of your cast net. You need to find out the spacing of the braille lines. (On my net, they are tied after every 4 weights, but it may depend
    on the type of net you are using) Now cut them off the bottom of your net.

2) Now that the braille lines are free, pull them out from the net and set the net aside.

3) Now pull the lines out of the crimp. You can throw the crimp away because you will not be able to use it again.

4) Now pull the lines out of the spacer and out of the swivel.

5) Hopefully, you have one unbroken line that you are going to use to measure out your braille lines. Take the end of the old braille line, hold it against the end of the limbline material and pull through your fingers together until you get to the end of your old braille line. Give 2 extra inches and cut your limb line material. You can throw away all your old braille line now as you will be using the piece you just cut to measure out the rest of your braille lines.

6) Now, using the same process, cut 5 more lines.

7) Now hang your casting rope from the ceiling so that the swivel is hanging in front of you and tie the other end off somewhere (like a chair) to keep it from coming down.

8) Now run end under and through any hole in the spacer then up and through the swivel and back down through the hole on the opposite side. Just to make things easier later, I go ahead and pull it down until both sides are equal.

[​IMG]

9) You will now continue to run your lines up through the spacer, through the swivel and back down through the spacer working clockwise until all your lines are in.

[​IMG]

10) Look at your work. Make sure that none of the lines are crossing at an angle. Every thing should be straight up and down.

11) Now lower your casting rope down to the ground and get your net. Put all the braille lines through the hole in though the TOP of the net. Now fold over your net so that it is laying flat again. Your spacer should be just through the hole in the top of the net so you can see
    each line coming through the holes.

[​IMG]

12) Now take the first line (12 o’clock) and tie it on the bottom of your net at the 12 o’clock position. This is where you want to utilize 1 of the 2 inches extra that you gave your new braille lines so that you can tie it on the bottom of your net without making the new lines shorter than the old lines. Cut off the access tang line.

13) Now take the 11 o’clock braille line, count over from the the 12 o’clock braille line the spacing that you determined at the beginning and tie it on. Cut off the access tang line.

14) Continue this process until all braille lines are tied on.

15) Now hang up your throw line again so that the whole net is suspended off the floor.

16) You now want to make sure that every braille line is even from one side to the other. With the net hanging look through the net, and pull down any that are short to match opposite side. This is very important as the next step will make the spacing permanent.

[​IMG]

17) Your going to need a length of limb line material now for the next step which is to make a new "crimp". Make sure your spacer is about 4 inches down from the spacer and tie a knot directly onto one of the braille lines about 4 inches below the spacer. You then wrap the next line to it to the right one time and cinch it over to the knot. Now wrap the next braille line to the right one time and cinch it to the line you just got done with. Continue to do this to the right until you have cinched the 12th line. Now tie it to the first line you tied a knot
    onto. Now wrap all the lines below the cinches several times down and back up and tie it off. Cut off excess.
    Looks something like this.

[​IMG]

Now to repair those holes....
    You net is made up of squares that are on a 45 degree angle. When you rip your net, it’s not ripping randomly across there, it is ripping (most of the time) where these squares meet one another. All you need to do to repair these holes are to rejoin these squares. Just tie some mono on one, put your tang end through
    the one on the opposite side and tie. Trim off excess and do the next one right next to it. Does not take very long and is simple to do.

Disclaimer.... I am by no means an expert cast net repair person. This is how I do it and I thought I would share it with my fellow BOC brothers. If someone has a disagreement with the
    methods I am using or has a better method, please take the time to write an article of your own to share with the rest of us!