Cast Iron Skillet?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i have a great old cast iron skillet that has some rust pitting in it. I cleaned it up with a wire brush on the drill, and washed it thoroughly with warm soapy water. I then heated it on the stove burner, and applied a coating of crisco to it. I am currently heating it in the oven at 350 degrees for an hour. I will then allow it to cool slowly in the oven. I intend to repeat this coating and oven heating a couple of more times. Will this treatment prevent food from sticking in the pitting, or am I wasting my time?

2. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    That will work great, after u get it hot, take it out and grease it and stick it back in for another hour or so for 250-275* for about 1 hour and they will last for ever if u use it atleast 3-4 times a week.... when u store it put some grease in it to keep it from pitting anymore... :)

3. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Oh ps remember when u use it and make different meals it just keeps holding the flavor of the passed food and makes it BETTER MMMM MMM MM!!!

4. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    i found an old dutch oven in a barn and it was totally rusted. i did the same wire brush thing and after seasoning like you are, it works great!!!
    i had to do it twice, because i left a little rust on first time. it would cost $85 dollars to replace it, but for basically free it cooks lots of good food.
    catwacker

5. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Should work great, just be sure not to use soap to clean it, and don't let it soak in water. Once it's well seasoned, you should just be able to wipe it out, or rinse with hot water and wipe dry. You can always re-season it if necessary. Food always tastes better out of cast iron, in my opinion.

6. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Yep Phil you should be good to go. However I ain't too sure I want the flavor of passed food (or passed anything) in my skillet.
    LMAO

7. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I have done it a few times! I have always tasted the rust the first few times! "High- maintanance", but you just can't fry fish with out one!

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Phil, you are good to go. The health department dont like a new one or a pitted one. They claim the grease holds bacteria.
    Oh well, I'm still alive along with millions of others that were raised with iron skillet cooking.

9. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    I have been looking for a Griswald or a Wagner skillet for a while now. They are about the best out there. I found a couple at a yard sale several years ago but haven't found any since. If you have the chance to get one, you will love it.

10. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I'm with Mark J. Was raised on food cooked in a cast iron skillet. Guess a little iron in the blood don't hurt a thing.

Maybe that's why my joints hurt sometimes...getting a little rusty.

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Most of mine are older than I am. When I brought them to my marriage it took a while to get my wife not to wash them with soap. lol Hot water is all I use to clean them with, some rub them with coarse salt. The key to no sticking when frying is to get the pan hot first before adding grease or oil. And as I convinced Tammy, this all so sterilizes the surface. She was worried about that. lol And it is true, you do get your daily supplement of iron.

12. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I've heard that you can soak rusted cast iron in Coke (soda) and the acid will eat away the rust. I love to cook with cast iron.

13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mark, I just happen to have a cast iron casserole in need of a lot of work. Some one was going to through it away?
    I will try the coke on it. I will post before and after pic's later in this thread. I wonder how long it will take?

14. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Have a Rusty Oven?Though there are many methods for cleaning rusty ovens, the one that we have found to be the easiest to use is a can of Coca-Cola. If the inside is rusty pour the Coke in and let it do it's job. Depending on how rusty the oven is will depend on how long you will need to leave the Coke on the rusty spot. If you have an issue with the outside of an oven use a sponge to apply the Cola, or place the cast iron in a large bowl or bucket with enough Coke to dissolve the rust (some rotating may be necessary). After rust is removed be sure to wash and reseason you cast iron.

NetmanJack I just did a google search and found this method. So I would say that you soak it til no more rust is there. I'm going to try this on a small skillet I have.

15. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    This is all true. Don't wash with soap. I just rinse mine out with hot water and a rag. I always drop a dab of oil in it after I wash and dry it. Rub it down with the oil and let it set on a warm eye for a few minutes. Then let it cool and put it away. If you take care of them they are naturally non stick. So much better than teflon.

16. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    coke does work well for this. after using the coke, make sure that you FILL it with water and boil it for at least 15 mins.

Then re-season the pan and you are good to go!

17. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Tony how long did it take for it to remove the rust?

18. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    when I did it, I had a skillet that was basically solid rust. Put it in a rubbermaid tub and poured in 2 2 liters of coke. Left it for 48 hrs and it looked pretty darn good when I went back to check it

19. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I have two cast iron pots one frying pan and a Dutch oven and I love them dearly.I did find this interesting website it a Sporting Magazine and checked it out.They only have the one frying pan now but by the end of the year will have a complete line out including a Dutch oven.SOUNDS like all the advantages of cast iron without the normal hassle,which means its probably to good to be true.I am going to try the covered skillet when they release it and see if I like it.:rolleyes: :) www.olividacookware.com.Of course they are expensive but most worthwhile things are.

20. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Jim,

Your link does not work, even after removing the extra ".Of" at the end.

Would it be possible for you to repost?

Thanks