Cast Iron Skillet Biscuits??

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by oh no, Jan 25, 2008.

1. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When I was a youngun, my dad and I visited my brotherinlaws parents in WV. His mom made biscuits in a skillet on the wood range. Boy they were biscuits and gravy to die for. Man they were good.

I have never made good biscuits. When my kids were little I would try, and my biscuits became known as gruesome biscuits. As they grew some. lol

Ladys and Gentlemen how do you make biscuits in a cast iron skillet?? What's the secret??? What is the recipe??? Was I born to far up north??

I need some learnen.

:big_smile:

2. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I can get you th recipe, just give me 24 hrs, gotta find it amongst all my other recipes. I am a cook by trade, and do alot of camping w/my wife n kids, but havent made th biscuits in a loooong time, but I promise I will get u that recipe.

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm not sure about the iron skillet recipe. I do know that lilgriz has been making some awesome buttermilk bisquits using his cast iron dutch oven. Takes some flour and some oil and some buttermilk stirring them together to get a stiff mix. Puts them into the dutch oven and sets it onto some ambers from the fire and then places ambers on top and in about 20 minutes or so.....BAM...some of the best bisquits you could ever hope for. So even if the fish aint biting ..we sure are.:wink:

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Yup, fried biscuits, not baked. The fried biscuits will not be light and fluffy like the baked biscuits, but will be denser, and tending toward being chewy. Put 1"-1 1/2" of oil in a skillet and heat to 365. When golden to dark brown on one side, turn over and cook the other side. Spoon hot grease over top side while cooking. Remove, drain on paper towel, and place in 250 oven until ready to serve.

5. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    here is a good recipe that i use to make biscuits and hoe cake. all you need i some self rising flour, milk and vegetable oil. sift your flour into a bowl (amount will depend on how many biscuits you will make) and then make a nice little divot in the middle, pour about a cup of milk for every 2 cups of flour and about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of oil for every cup of milk. then just use your hands to kind of mix in a little flour into the mix and get all of the lumps out. once you have a nice dough going then you can make your biscuits or hoe cake. if it is too soupy just add more flour. to firm, add more milk. it is really simple and works great for me. make sure you use self rising flour and not all pupose. all purpose will not rise on its own. you can make biscutis in a dutch oven fairly easy, and this is a good recipe for it. let me know what you think.

6. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Here is some I found on Google after you got my mouth watering from all that talk about good biscuts......

BUTTERMILK BISCUITS
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    4 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    Pinch of salt
    1/4cup butter or margarine
    3/4 to 1 cup buttermilk
    2 tablespoons butter or margarine
    2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
    STIR together first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Cut cup butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender until crumbly; add buttermilk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
    TURN dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and pat or roll to 1/2-inch thickness; cut with a 2 1/2-inch round cutter.
    PLACE 2 tablespoons butter in a 10 1/2-inch cast-iron skillet. Place in 350 deg oven 5 minutes or until butter melts. Remove from oven, and add biscuits.
    BAKE at 350 deg for 20 minutes or until golden. Brush biscuits evenly with 2 tablespoons melted butter. Yield: I dozen. Prep: 10 min., Bake: 20 min.

Biscuits
    (Cooked in a Dutch Oven)

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]4 cups flour[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]1 tsp. salt[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]2 tbsp. baking powder[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]1/2 cup shortening[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]1-1/2 cup milk or water[/FONT]

[​IMG]
    Combine dry ingredients. Work in shortening and add milk gradually. Knead and pinch off desired amount and place in greased Dutch oven and bake 15-20 minutes on hot coals.

• 2 cups self-rising flour
    • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
    • 3/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
    • 2 tablespoons shortening
    • 2 tablespoons butter, softened
    • 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
    • 1 cup all-purpose flour
    • 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees F (245 degrees C). Spray a 10 1/2 inch cast iron skillet with non stick cooking spray.
    2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and sugar. Cut in the shortening and softened butter with a fork until the lumps are pea size. Gently stir in the buttermilk until all of the flour is incorporated; do not over mix. The dough should be very wet. If not, add more buttermilk to achieve a sloppy consistency. Let stand for 2 to 3 minutes.
    3. Place all-purpose flour in a bowl. Spray an ice cream scoop or large spoon with vegetable spray and scoop out dough. Drop each biscuit one at a time into the flour. Using well-floured hands, pick up each piece and pass from hand to hand lightly to shake off excess flour and shape it into a soft round. Place the biscuits gently into cast iron skillet. They will be a tight fit. Do not mash the biscuits down! Brush tops lightly with melted butter.
    4. Bake at 475 degrees F (245 degrees C) for 16 to 18 minutes. Cool before serving.

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Iron skillet biscuits

http://www.grouprecipes.com/12068/iron-skillet-biscuits.html

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Just bear in mind that biscuits baked in a dutch oven are baked, just like the ones in your oven, and they should have about the same consistency. But fried, or "skillet" biscuits aren't baked at all...they're fried, much like hushpuppies. The only real difference between hushpuppies and fried biscuits is the dough mixture that is used.

If you like cooking your bread in a skillet, try this one:

Johnny Cakes

This was America's first pancake, developed over 300 years ago. While this recipe calls for sugar, it was often omitted because it was unavailable on the frontier or in the deep South. Yankees generally poured maple syrup over them, while Southerners tended to use sorghum syrup.

INGREDIENTS:
    * 2 slices bacon, diced
    * 1 cup yellow or white corn meal
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 1 teaspoon sugar
    * 1 1/2 cups boiling water
    * maple syrup as needed

PREPARATION:

1. Cook the bacon dice until crisp. Reserve the bacon and the fat. Combine corn meal, salt and sugar in a bowl. Stir in the boiling water with a whisk until mixture is smooth and thick.

2. Use the bacon drippings to grease a griddle, or non-stick frying pan, set over med-high flame. 2. Drop the batter, about 1/4 cup for each johnnycake, into the pan and fry for about 5-6 minutes per side. They should be golden-brown, and the edges will begin to get crispy.

Serve on warm plates with maple syrup, with the cooked bacon crumbled over the top.

8. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have enough recipe's here to try. The one's my brother in laws mother made were in a skillet, but they were not fryed. They were like oven biscuits. I'll bet that dutch oven deal would work. Maybe beings it was on a wood stove, it had more heat around it than these gas stoves. Or am I rushing them in the skillet. Trying to cook them too fast.

I have a big dutch oven that is made out of aluminum. It's an old one I picked up off of Ebay. I usually use it for a big bean pot. It has that lid with the ring around it to stack coals. I have never tryed to make campfire biscuits. I just want to be able to make good ones on top of the stove.

9. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I always have been fond of deep frying my biscuits, I always do that when Thanksgiving comes around, Every time I make them, they don't last long on our table.
    I fry the turkey first and then get some Grands biscuits and cut them in half and throw them in the grease after the turkey is done, that way whatever marinades I use in the turkey are also in the oil and the biscuits have a real good flavor.
    :wink:

10. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I had cast iron biscuits once when my sister in law tried cooking for thanksgiving once. We gave thanks that we still had our teeth when done!

11. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    A friend of mine made butter fried biscuits. The only thing I remember was that he was constantly putting butter in the pan and flipping the biscuits. They were excellant.
    If you bake the biscuits in a dutch oven you should place a pie tin in the bottom of the oven so you don't burn your biscuits.

12. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    that sure looks good is it diet ??? :smile2:

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Pat, that's on the old 'seafood diet'. You 'see' food, you eat it.