Cast-Iron Cooking Gear.

Discussion in 'Capt Steve's RV and Camping Talk' started by shingman6, Sep 21, 2008.

1. shingman6

shingman6 New Member

State:
    South Carolini
    This is the only thread that I see that maybe someone can give me an answer to something I need to know. How do you clean cast-Iron after cooking. I know you should not clean with dish washing liquid because it takes the season off. Please help!

2. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i usually use olive oil or whatever type of oil you like while cooking then all i do is kind of rinse it out with hot water maybe use a brush to scrape off any food that may be stuck to the pan then rinse again then oil it back up with olive oil been working for me like that for years

3. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    i seen on tv that you just turn skillet over and let the fire burn the skillet clean, i have tried that while hunting and it worked. Just turn over the fire and it will burn it until all charred then scrape and wipe clean then re-oil. didnt even need water!

4. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    When I worked at camp, we used a dash of white sand and a piece of tin foil the size of a half dollar, scraped it clean and wiped it out with a paper towel, at home I wash it normally, spray it with pan coating and put it in the oven 350 for 45 min!!!

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
  6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Depends on what I've cooked in it. For something like eggs, I simply wipe it down real good with a paper towel. For something max grody, I will use soap and water, despite what the experts say. But as soon as I finish washing, I put it over the fire to warm it up and evaporate any moisture, then wipe it down with oil. I know that after using the soap and water it's supposed to need seasoning again, but simply wiping it down with oil seems to work just as well for me. My rule of thumb is, 'If it works, don't mess with it', so I keep doing it. Oh, I do use cool or lukewarm water, not hot.

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I agree, thats what I do. As long as you dont let it sit wet ( rust will appear ) your fine.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Yeah, when I do use soap, I don't trust a towel to get the skillet dry enough, so I heat it some on a stove eye.

9. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    The best way to clean cast iron is to heat it on stove poor in a can or 2 of coke and let it boil for 15 minutes while boiling scrape it with wooden spatchula or use nylon brush when done rinse and store it no need for oil or anything else.....

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I like to put a little water in it ,boil,then add about 3tablespoons of salt,rub with a paper towel,rinse and dry on a burner.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    normally after cooking i do the same rich. if it wont simpley wipe clean i add some water boil it and and scrape with spatula. if it still wont come off then burn it. but you will have to reseason. i put an old ditry built up one i wanted to clean in a bon fire a couple weeks back at my b-day party. i had a 5 ' wire through handle. when i pulled it out after 3-4 hours it was glowing. after it cooled the 1/8th " crust on it was gone. you could read the numbers stamped on it at manufacturing. other than being black it was like new. i washed in soap and water. dried on the stove top heat so it wouldnt have time to rust and wiped down with veg oil and baked at 400 for 1 1/2 hrs. like new.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Just the way to treat 'em, Jeremy. I'll take all the old 'throwaway' cast iron stuff like that I can get. I've got several skillets on the back porch right now waiting their turn in the fire.

13. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    No such thing as "old, throwaway cast iron" if you know what you are doing.... Hot water and a brush or soft nylon scrubber works on everything I've needed to get out of my ovens so far...

14. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I do it the same way the Lodge site says. If its bad I boil a little water in it and wipe it out. Usually just a good hot water rinse and wipe will do.

15. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I do what the old pioneers did, I add a little vinegar to the water and boil it. Seems to lift off any residue and doesn't bother the seasoning.

:cool2:

16. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Thanks thunderchicken. That vinegar trick worked great for me.

17. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I love my cast iron. :cool2:

Normally, I clean mine exactly the way jtrew does.

Thought I had read just about EVERY way to clean it here on the BOC before, but I don't remember the vinegar trick OR the Coke.

Used to know an old bartender who told me this everytime I ordered a Coca-Cola......

"Put a piece of steak in a glass of beer, and one in a glass of Coke overnight Tanya. The one in the coke will be gone the next morning." :smile2:

18. Rastus

Rastus Active Member

State:
    North Central, Missouri
    Fill pan with water and boil for a couple of minutes. If the pan is really bad I'll quickly scrap and dump this boiling water out. Fill with water and boil again. Then I run cold water down the sink while brushing the pan and slowly dump boiling water out, being carefull to cool of brush in cold water to keep bristles from melting. Rinse any leftovers out and set back on stove on low till all water is gone. Take off stove and let cool for a min. Paper towel with a little bit of crisco on it to coat bottom and sides of pan. Turn paper towel and wipe again to take off any excess crisco. It doesn't take long after you've done it a couple of nights and I've been doing it this way for a decade.