Cass River - I caught four nice catfish!

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by Sparky Larson, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I went out yesterday afternoon to fish for a couple of hours. I got to the fishing hole about 2:10PM and by 2:50pm I had four nice cats 4,5,7, and an 8 pounder. For some reason I just can't seem to get off that 8 pound mark. I know there are bigger ones than that in this river, but I just can't seem to catch them. I had six other bites, but no hook ups. All of the fish caught, were on shrimp. I was also using some three to four inch live bluegills. I had one hit on the bluegill. (no fish). After 3:00pm no more bites. I left at 4:30pm
    All in all it was a good outting.
    The river was high and muddy!
    Sparky

2. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    sparky, Ive Got A Buddy That Lives In The Mayville / Cairo Area. Hes About 3-4 Minutes From The Cass River,right On The State Game Area. Ive Fished There A Couple Of Times But Caught Nothing Bigger Than 4#. You Mentioned In A Thread About Mott Lake. Is It Fishable From Shore Since I Dont Have A Boat, And What Kind Of Fish Are In There. Rick!!!

3. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Yes, Mott Lake is Fishable from shore in different spots. I believe this question was asked of me before, and I didn't answer,cause I was looking for my map of the Genesee Recreation Area. I can't find my map. (S_ _ _) but you can get one at the Genesee Patrol office for a Dollar. There is a good spot to fish right down the road from the office. The map shows all the different spots to fish from shore. There is a good place to fish on the Flint River, on Irish Rd. Nice parking spot too. You can also fish down by the bridge on Genesee Rd. Good parking Area. Just follow one of the trails out of the parking area.
    They catch a lot of Walleye, Bass, and Catfish. If you go to the park, by the dam, You'll see hundreds of Carp. The in the park feed them. It's posted NO Fishing, but they are fun to watch. There are some big ones.
    If I ever find my map of the area, I'll Post again on this subject.
    Sparky

4. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Sparky,

Fish dawn and dusk hours with live gills. Im sure that will put you in with the big boys.

Sal

5. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    sparky, Thanks For The Info! Its Nice To Know Of Atleast One Good Spot Before Fishing Water Youve Never Fished Before. Good Luck Finding Your Map And Where Abouts On The Cass River Do You Usually Fish? Good Fishing And Best Of Luck To You!!!

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Hit the water catch fish and get out of there before the skeeters get ya. That's what it's all about:wink: .

7. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I usually fish at the park where the boat launch is. I take the south rd. all the way back to where the new fishing dock is. About 30yds. to the west is a slab of cement. If it is open, thats where I fish.
    I also fish down at the bridge by the golf course. Both places are good.
    Sparky