Cashua ferry landing?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by copster, Aug 4, 2009.

1. copster

copster New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hey does anyone on here fish or put in at the cashua ferry landing on 34? it is real close to my house and i have been there twice. up river looks like a lot of rocks when low. can i get around them or just dont go near them? if anyone have any advise or tips for that area it was be greatly appreciated.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've put in there quite a few times. On extremely low water, it is real easy to tear up something. You will see the rock shoal and pilings on the left side. Run the right bank close to the bushes until you get past the shoal, then angle toward center/left side until you get around the second, sharper curve upstream. From there on up, it's not too bad. Lots of concreter riprap on the right after the second curve; could be a good spot for flatheads....
    With the water level where it is today, you might be able to get through with a small shallow draft boat, but I don't guarantee anything. :big_smile:
    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/sc/nwis/uv/?site_no=02130561&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,00062

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yes, it's treacherous to go upstream at low water such as it is today. I think that's the last rock shoal from there to the coast though. I'd just fish downstream so the hazard doesn't come into play. BTW: While that boat landing is very nice, I regularly hear of vandalism to vehicles from folks who fish it. Windows knocked out, tires cut, etc. The fishing is VERY good in that area though. I fish out of the next landing upstream from there, out of Blue's Landing.

Bill in SC

4. copster

copster New Member

State:
    south carolina
    where is that landing? i live in florence. is it close?

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Probably 25 minutes due north of Florence, on hwy 34.

Bill in SC

6. copster

copster New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i looked on the map and i can not find it. can you tell me when about it is? if i come from past dargans pond from 327 to hwy 34?

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Exactly! You take 327 past Dargan's Pond. Stay on 327 until it ends at 34. Then turn right on 34, and the landing is down a few (couple or three) miles on the left, BEFORE you cross the Big Pee Dee bridge. Very nice landing I might add, again. Let me know when you are going and I may meet you there if you want company. I know the river WELL upstream from the landing, but usually have to come downstream from Blue's to access it due to the shoal that runs across the river up from the 34 landing. I've never fished downstream from there, but understand the fishing is good downstream. I do also fish well below I-95 near and below Pamplico, and know that area pretty good too. Tis the season for monster flatties!

Bill in SC

8. scwolf

scwolf New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I am kinda confused now Bill, it sounded like you just gave directions to what we in Florence call hwy 34 landing...lol.....

So there is another landing just before the bridge on hwy 34? The 34 landing is below the 34 bridge over the river..correct? So where is Blue's in relation to the hwy 34 bridge?

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    It IS hwy 34 (Darlington County) landing AKA as Cashua Ferry landing, right under the bridge, and if thats not confusing enough, there is a sign at the landing with some guy's name on it designating it as "John Doe's landing" I was bringing him in from 327 to 34. You can also leave Darlington on 34 and get there. The landing is BEFORE you cross the Big Pee Dee bridge, on the left. Blues (Marlboro County) is on hwy 912, up river from 34 about 15 miles. After that, up river is the Society Hill landing. (Darlington County landing, Marlboro County on the other side of the river) Up river from there is the Cheraw (Chesterfield County) landing.

http://www.ask.com/bar?q=Pee+Dee+Ri...&u=http://www.dnr.sc.gov/mlands/boatramp.html

Bill in SC

10. scwolf

scwolf New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    YOU DA MAN BILL!!....I understand now....lol....whew takes me a few times every now and then. Don't think I've ever been to Blue's as I'm not familiar with hwy 912. I may have been there in my younger years and just not know it, but at least I have an idea where it is now.

Just googled it....912 is the road out of Blenheim isn't it?

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The easiest way for you to get to Blues from Florence would be to take hwy 52 to Society Hill. 52 merges with 15/401 as you enter Society Hill. Proceed straight through Society Hill, holding to 15/401 (52 branches left to Cheraw in downtown SH, don't go that way, go straight on 15/401). When you get out of Society Hill, less than a mile, the Society Hill landing will be on the right. Go past that landing, still on 15/401. Proceed about 5 or 6 miles and 912 intersects with 15/401. Take a RIGHT on 912, and Blues is about 5 or 6 miles (give or take) down on the right. Can't miss it. It's right past Mohawk Industries. If you want a trip out of Blues, hook up with me, especially if the river is low. I can get you downstream all the way to 34, no matter how shallow because I know the river that well in that area. Upstream from Blues between there and Society, there is one place that is VERY HARD to get past, (if very low) but I can get past "most" times. You ought to Google Earth the river. You can start at Society Hill on Google Earth and work your way down river. I fish some very interesting "squigglies" down between Blues and 34. I'm ALWAYS ready to fish, and now is the time for the monster flatties to be caught at NIGHT. I fish from dark until dawn during this time of the summer. If interested, PM me for my cell#. I have a group coming from Kentucky to fish Tuesday and Wednesday night. I'll probably do one trip out of Blues, and the next night go to Dunham's Bluff in Marion County the second night. otherwise, I am free most anytime, and I will drop everything I am doing most times to fish.
    Bill in Bennettsville

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Damn, Robbie, I didn't realize that I was talking to you in this thread!! Hurry back from your work in Colorado so we can fish, and I appreciate the Easterlin sock!!!!!!!!! YOU da man!!

BB

13. scwolf

scwolf New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    LOL....Yea I kinda jumped in on this thread. I will definately give you a call when I get back...maybe we can go somewhere so I can see my old sock in use...lol

I found out today the location is Grand Junction,Co....about 2000 miles away....whew...gonna be a long weekend of driving alone for me.

Take care

14. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Another thing to consider at 34. Know whether the water is rising or falling. I have talked to fishermen who told me that if the water is falling fast it's possible to get upstream and then have trouble getting back. Could be dangerous to get out of the boat to dislodge a boat in swift water. I was down there today just looking it over. Water color looked good, but it's still moving pretty fast.

http://newweb.erh.noaa.gov/ahps2/river.php?wfo=cae&wfoid=18757&riverid=203525&view=1%2C1%2C1%2C1%2C1%2C1%2C1%2C1&toggles=10%2C7%2C8%2C2%2C9%2C15%2C6&pt%5B%5D=141632&pt%5B%5D=145711&pt%5B%5D=143952&allpoints=141632%2C145711%2C143952&data%5B%5D=hydrograph&data%5B%5D=sitemap&submit=Make+my+River+Page%21

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  15. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC