Case Pen Knife

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by randallewis, Nov 29, 2008.

1. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I have a Case knife w/ Case xxx on one blade. The second has USA 625 4 SS. How does the quality of this knife grade out. It was given to me.

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've carried a case knife or many rather all my life. I 've always been happy with mine. I would say you'll like your's too.

3. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I'm just a little bit curious. This stainless steel bugger is a little hard for me to sharpen.

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi, yes, the SS is a bit "gummy" compared to carbon steels, however, If you use a coarse stone, then follow with a fine stone, I then have a piece of leather about 2x8 glued to a flat board, I put polishing compound on the leather, (red for carbon-green for stainless) and strop the edge of the blade. If you use your stones OK, and then strop it, you should be able to shave a cat while it's sleepin!!

The steel in the Case SS blades does seem a bit softer than I care for, it is a 420 SS. I'd prefer a 440 C, properly heat treated.

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Great knives IMHO, thats the only type pocket knife I carry anymore. A little harder to sharpen but will also in turn hold an edge better. I got tired of keeping the rust knocked off the old timers years ago.

6. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    the 6 in your number is what the handle material is(6-jiged bone)made of the second number 2 is how many blades it has. The 3 and 4 number(54) is the pattern wich is trapper pattern and of course the ss is stainless steel. The ss is hard to sharpen,I use a set of crock sticks to do mine. I only sharpen the one I carry my others that I collect I never sharpen. I hope this post helps you. If you can tell me what the case emblem stamped on the first blade looks like I can tell you its aproximet age. All case knives are great quality carry knives so you cant go wrong with the one you have.

7. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    The first blade has x . x. Then below that is CASExx I thought it has xxx but its xx. The ASExx is underlined by the extension of the bottom of the C

8. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    It sounds like its 2000 untill now is the age somewhere between that.

9. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    It was purchased at a hardware store in Center Tx. around 2002. Is this a top quality, medium or below standard knife?

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Case knifes are solid. I still a sod buster in my collection.

11. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Its medium,there are other more expensive but they are a solid made knife.That for the price they cant be beat. They are one of the best knives to carry in my book.

12. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    My first knife was a Case. Dad found it one day when we were fishing and gave it to me. I was 5. I still have that knife. Gets used more for bait duty than anything else. No rust on the blade, and it usually gets rinsed off in the salt water around here. I like case knives and dont see anything wrong with them.

13. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Like my Grandfather before me....I collect case knives. They are great knives and many are sought after by many collectors. I have over 50 of them and only carry one. I carry a stag handled med/stockman. I have always had a problem sharpening SS. My grandfather used to sharpen my knives for me and whenever I would bring him one to sharpen he would mumble under his breath....Stainless Steel....Hmmm...not sure I can get an edge on it son. He collected the older case knives that were good steel and were easier to sharpen. His collection was sold in 2000 after his death. The price was paid for the entire collection and fetched over $2000. I wasnt able to come up with that kind of money at that time, so I watched as it was sold out from under me , so to speak. I would've loved to have had his knives. You have a good quality knife and should carry it with pride!!!:big_smile: