Carwin vs Mir

Discussion in 'UFC, Boxing, Wrestling, etc.' started by BowieKnife357, Jan 4, 2010.

1. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thoughts? :wink:

2. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    unfortunantly,mir.

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I want Carwin to beat Lesnar. That said, he kinda got lucky in the Gonzaga fight. He was out on his feet, woke up, and KO'd Gonzaga. Carwin is a powerful man with an impressive string of knockouts, BUT...I too would have to give it to Mir. If Brock ever fights again, I think Mir will break him. I don't think he will be stupid enough to give Brock his leg again. That whole fight hinged on a stupid front kick.

4. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'm thinking Mir will take it too. But then again, it seems like whoever I think is going to win the fight before it starts usually loses lol.

5. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    When Mir faced Kongo, I thought on the feet Mir was done. Now I think Mir will be able to hold his ground enough to not get rocked by Carwin before he can hit the ground. I just hope Mir does as he says and doesn't get caught up in thinking his stand up is good enough to just stay on the feet. See it too many times where a guy with one game gets some confidence in another area and tries only to use the new found strengths

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Well....the way things are right now...either one of them could be looking at becoming interim champ after this fight since Brock is out for this year...Im looking Mir for the win though. He is looking more and more like the old Frank Mir (before the wreck).

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Im gonig with mir just because he seems to be a more complete fighter but with carwins ko power anything is possible. Still going with mir though.

8. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    Mir is a smart guy,he knows all he has to do is win to get another shot at his self admitted obsession of Brock lesner. I dont think he will try to prove to the world he can outstrike carwin. I dont think he was trying to prove that against Kongo either,it just happened to go that way. IMO Mir is the most talented guy in the division.....Mir by arm amputation late in the 1st round.

9. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA

LMAO!! I agree 100%....Carwin does have the punchers chance BUT he almost had his @ss handed to him by Gonzaga which in my opinion wouldn't last a round with Mir... If Mir can crack his more than likely expanding head thinking he is a knockout artist now and just do what he does best which is his ground game he should have no problems with Carwin. Carwin is a great wrestler BUT he has never even come close to dancing with a BJJ expert such as Mir...Ya Gonzaga is good at BJJ also but I wouldn't put him in the same ball park as Mir, Mir is just to damn expeirenced when his head is screwed on right.

10. STALLIONDUCK

STALLIONDUCK New Member

State:
    Illinois
    WAIT! Gonzaga's BJJ is as good if not better than Mir's

11. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    NO.....it's not,,,, Mir is probably #2 in the world in the heavyweight division next to the "NOG" wich he just dominated.. Gonzaga is maybe top 10.

12. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    ...No it's not. :lying:

13. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I think that its a matter of what perspective you look at it from. I have never seen Mir in an actual BJJ tourney but Gonzaga is pretty decorated and has a really good top game...on the MMA side of the house though...I think that Mir's willingness to work his BJJ gives him the chance to showcase his talent more. Gonzaga likes to stand and bang. I wish that he would work his ground game more though.

14. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA

Agreed! But when Mir goes to the ground "with the exception of Lesnar" he finishes the fight rather quickly so we don't get the chance to see a school of BJJ. Gonzaga does need to quit the stand up or get better at it!!!! Either way I see Mir devistating him on the ground or standing up, but who really knows these days in MMA?

15. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Though some of you might like this.

[youtubevid]2dj5xMeXybs[/youtubevid]

16. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas

You beat me to it. I saw that video for the first time the other day and when I saw where this was going it came to mind again.

17. STALLIONDUCK

STALLIONDUCK New Member

State:
    Illinois
    exactly, the reason i say Gonzagas is as good if not better than Mir's is because he has won many different competitions including the Mundials which is the most prestigious BJJ tournament in the world.

18. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    That video is from 2003. WTF? Insignificant to say the least. Not to say Roy doesn't know what he's doing, but neither of them are the same as they were 7 years ago. Mir is a monster now, and Roy is a tubby toad. Not even on the same page athletically. Even if the two possessed the exact same skill set, which they don't, Roy would still only have a puncher's chance at best to beat Mir. Gonzaga...decorated, maybe (although Wiki doesn't show much), but mostly by virtue of competing at that level in those events. Not taking away from him at all, it just wasn't Frank Mir's gig. Y'all are smokin' somethin' if you don't think that Mir's jujistu is not top level. Looking at who Gonzaga has, or hasn't fought...as the case may be, and who he has lost to...

19. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Its like Im saying...its a matter pf perspective. Frank Mir's jiu jitsu can be traced back to having roots with Gracie Barra. This "branch" of BJJ follows the philosophy of Master Carlson Gracie who was one of pioneers of using BJJ as a competitive fighting style and has always trained its fighters more for what eventually became MMA rather than tournament style competition. That statement alone could spark alot of deabate as well. At one point, Master Carlson even split off from Grand Master Helio Gracie's teaching style due to his difference of opinion for BJJ's use in competition. Not to say that they became enemies in any fashion...

Anyhow...that style of teaching trickled down to the likes of Mir. While he does not have any tournament accolades (that I know of), it does not mean his BJJ is any less validated.

Gonzaga on the other hand...I dont know who he trained under...has many tournament accolades to include Mundials...Copa do Mundo...and he also competed at the ADCC. He has wins over guys like Mercio Cruz (which says ALOT)...

Both guys are solid BJJ black belts...but I would have to say that Gonzaga has paid way more dues in reagrds to the grappling world...so I gotta say that his BJJ is a notch above Mir's in my opinion.