Carving tools

Discussion in 'Jims Woodworking' started by zeboman, Dec 28, 2008.

1. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have a small collection of chisels and assorted carving knives , hand tools etc. I plan on buying a set of gouges ,v-tool and u-gouge. How do you guys keep your carving tools sharp ??? I use a smith diamond stone , coarse and fine and then run it over some leather. I included a photo of some of my tools and I also use a dremel. What kinds of tools do you guys use most often to carve ???

Attached Files:

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i use a dreamel tool to do my carving i use a high speed rasp on it more than anything i will post some pics today of all the diff stuff i use on the dreamel

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Heck i gotta dremel and a sharp case xx pocket knife. May start a new masterpiece. You guys do pretty work.

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    my box of cutting burs for the dremel tool and yes its a old tackle box lol

Attached Files:

5. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Get a couple wood chisels and you`re ready to go.

6. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    II HAVE A SET FROM CHERRY TREE AND I KEEP THEM SHARP THE SAME WAY U DO.

MOOOS1

7. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Z, I have some carving tools like the ones you have in your picture on the left and a few others. I use a hard felt wheel for a benchtop grinder and jewelers rouge to keep my tools sharp and it does a great job.

I tried to post on your thread with the spirit faces but for some reason I couldn't. I have done a couple of the spirit faces but nothing to brag about. Your spirit faces look great. I have made a few walking sticks also and really do enjoy making them out of twisted sticks I find out in the woods.

8. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Jim you can use a straight cut sapling to make a walking stick and put some curves and twists in it with your tools. I will be making a stick soon out of a fresh cut sapling , it is harder to carve green wood due to cracking and splitting. Sealing the cut ends with polyurethane will force the wood to dry through the bark. I do agree with you though , found wood is much easier to deal with.

9. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Thanks Z, I like to find sassafras that is twisted and let the bark dry and make the stick look like a snake. With some of the twisted sticks I like to take the bark off while the wood is green as it sure is easier then. Tinboat gave me several of his sticks at the national gathering just before he passed away, I still haven't worked all of them yet but hopefully in the future.

I am interested in trying some intarsia in the near future as it looks very relaxing to do.

If you have any sticks would you post some pictures of them, we would love to see them.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Dan thats a nice set up.