carpet

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by curt, Jun 23, 2008.

1. curt

curt New Member

State:
    missouri
    What glue should I use to put carpet on a painted aluminum boat. I got some liquid nail but not sure if will work.

2. farmer

farmer Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Dont use the glue from Bass Pro. It don't work. I ended up using liquid nail. It will work for ya. Hope this helps.

3. ouachita

ouachita New Member

State:
    Texas
    I used Henry's Outdoor carpet glue from Lowe's. It has held up pretty well so far.

4. smallieworld

smallieworld New Member

State:
    nc
    I used henry outdoor carpet glue from lowes also, and it went down good and seems to be holding good. You will need a 1/8th trowel and a roller ( I used a paint roller ) once you get an even coat with the trowel lay the carpet roll it down with the paint roller. I then layed mine on a flat surface carpet down and put 100+ lb on it to keep it from jumping up. After an hour then I pulled them out and wrapped and stapled everything. looks like it came from a pro shop. good luck

5. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I use a contact adhesive that is designed to apply vinyl tops on cars. Most automotive upholstery shops should have it or something comparable. I have re carpeted several boats and never had one single issue. Spray, roll or brush both surfaces (the back of the carpet and the surface you are applying it on) and give it a few minutes to dry to the touch. Make sure you have it where you want it when the two surfaces touch. :eek:oooh:The last Time I bought some it was about $10 per gallon. I am sorry I don't have a name for the product but if you ask a good upholstery shop in your area they should be able to help you out. Just be sure you tell them what you want it for. Most of them I know don't want anything to do with boat carpet. If you don't explain what you are doing they may be reluctant to help you out. They may think your doing something that would keep them from getting the job.:angry:

I hope this helps.
    Thanks
    David

6. curt

curt New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks guys. I will let you know how it went.