Carpet For Runners on Trailer???

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by WylieCat, Feb 15, 2007.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Whats the best bet for carpet on the runners on a boat trailer? I am replacing my runners and decided to go ahead and replace the carpet too.

Can you just go with outdoor carpet or is them something better to use?

2. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Me too Dieter!!!

Also...what about the wood and glue???
    Treated wood or just plain old junk 2X's ???
    Glue??? super duper outdor glue???

Thank's fellas!!!

3. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I dont know about everyone else but I use the grey outdoor carpet from Lowe's holds up good and is Rubber backed .Is pretty easy on the pocketbook also the real good marine carpet is totally overpriced IMO.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I generally replace the carpet every year to year and a half - depending upon what it looks like. It it is torn or brittle, I feel it is subject to failure and possibly scraping the bottom of the boat. Carpet is cheap, and easy to replace. I nail it onto the side of the boat using roofing nails. fWhen the wood starts to rot, it gets replaced also.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The best thing in my opinion is UMHV. Its slick as glass, holds up alot better, better loading and unloading.

The down side is expense. Its high.

6. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    With treated wood and a good grade of carpet it will last for years. I have one trailer thats about 10 years old with the same carpet and its still in fairly good shape. Its like the old saying you get what you pay for so if you use cheap carpet you'll change it out more often which will cost you more in the long run. You can buy pretty good carpet already cut from Cabela's, Basspro or West Marine thats reasonable in price.

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i wouldnt use junk 2x4s on the runners. i bought my boat in 2003 and the running baords was rotted out where they mounted to the trailer(untreated). i went back with treated ones. on the carpet i used the grey from home depot with the rubber backing but i didnt glue it. now i have holes in the carpet. so i would glue the carpet to the running boards. heck looking back i would worry too much about the cost. i had over a hundred dollars in 4 running board and carpet plus new screws. now im looking at replaceing the carpet less than 6 months after i put it on. anyone have a good glue to use. i also think mark is right with the umhv. im thinking about just applying that over the carpet now.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If you use UMHV be careful or you'll leave your boat sitting on concrete.
    It is slick.
    Alot of the fan boat owners in Florida have started covering the entire bottom of their hulls with it.

I think I'm going to put it on the toon trailer to keep stress of the toons, The deck supports, and trailer when loading.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Mark, do you mean to refer to UHMW as in "Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene" ??

10. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Something I used last time is commercial mats. I have a friend that works for a cleaning service and he brought a few to me and I cut them and glued them with carpet contact glue then made them come together on the bottom of the wood and stapled it there, it's been 7 years and there still good. also replaced the 2x4's then with treated lumber and they are still good also do to the heavy rubber backing.

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Marty yea! my fingers are finger tied tonight:big_smile:

12. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Well I feel good about the regular old outdoor carpet from Lowes or HD. I bought the 2x6 treated boards today and fitted them to the brackets. Everything good so far. I will add the carpet tomorrow and it should be ready to go.

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Dieter, you can always double it up.

14. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    One other thing I do when useing carpet on wood be it casting decks or trailer bunk's I coat the wood with rubberized car undercoating seals the wood and is quicker then painting or useing resin and it's waterproof

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'll spend the extra money for treated wood on my trailer, but I always just use scrap carpet. I fold it around and nail it where the nails can't touch the boat. Only takes a few minutes, and the carpet's free.

16. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Personally I've always used treated 2x4's and the carpet at lowes with the rubber backing. I use stainless staples to attach it quick and easy, with a craftsman stapler. The same one I use to hang the xmas lights on the house with. Works great and easy.

17. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Nobody's mentioned it yet, so...

You can use spray silicone on the carpet bunks and your boat will slide off like it's riding on ice. Lasts a good 6 or 8 months depending on how often you use the boat. You can find silicone at most hardware and auto supply stores.

Cheaper than the fancy plastic stuff (even though the plastic would out-live carpet and wood by a zillion years).

18. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Funny you mention that Marty....I read on another forum about the silicone being good to use.

Thanks for all the input folks!

19. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    You want to be careful about that silicone. If you're backing down a steep ramp, keep the line from the winch hooked to the boat. Otherwise it might be sitting on the ramp. That stuff is slicker than ice.

We was launching the boat last year and the trailer wheels had just got into the water and the boat started sliding. Water was about 16-18 inches deep at the end of the trailer and the bow of the boat just barely tapped the ramp as it slid off the trailer. Had the ramp been steeper it (the boat) would have been on dry concrete.

20. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Ok I'll bite, What is UMHV?