Carpet beetles

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by bnt55, Nov 29, 2009.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Has anyone had there deer skull cleaned with carpet beetles aka dermastid beetles (sp?). What did you pay and did it come out good?

thanks
    Bill

2. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Never tried that, I just let em dry then boil em. Hopin the flies will clean out most of it, then boil it and let it dry again.

3. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I had a buck done with the European mount. The beetles is what the taxidermist used to initially clean the skull. That was six or seven years ago. He charged $100 to do it. Really turned out nice. Hope this helps.

4. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    DUDE !! Take your knife and clean off all meat ,eyeballs ,etc . then drill bit, flattened piece of wire to get brains out ,then pressure wash or steam clean. bleach walaa . you killed it ,clean it, it will come out better then you could imagine! BUGS BUG ME !

5. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    Oh by the way (cost couple bucks car wash ,wife has the bleach)

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have never tried the beetles. we use the boil and peroxide method. just keep antlers out of it, or it will turn them white too! i agree with the above statement that it's way more rewarding to do your own.

7. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY

not to mention stinky and messy:smile2:. There are a few things in life worth paying for one is a good woman and the other is a taxidermist!