Carpet and glue in boat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by fishnfwl, May 14, 2009.

1. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Have an aluminum rig, has carpet and glue (naturally) I have looked in every store around for something to just pour on/over the carpet to remove it and a lot of the glue..... everything I have found says to rip the carpet out first then use on glue to soften it and scrape. :confused2: There has to be something in this market of chemicals, I just ain't ripping carpet then scrapping glue when it can all be done at once I would think, any one? If not, then it is time to get the media blaster out and start peeling everything away, LOL! might be the route I take anyway.......just thought I would ask someone on here I know has already done this a time or two....thanks

2. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I think ripping out te carpet will be the easy part.

As far as the left over glue. Acetone, MEK, or 3M adhesive remover should do the trick.

3. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Rip out of the carpet and then take a drill with a wire wheel brush to the aluminum. That seemed to work about the best for me.

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Of course you fool.......it's called ACID!!!!!

Pour it in and let it set for a few days and that should dissolve carpet and glue and maybe just a bit of the hull.:smile2:

Or you can do it like the rest of us, rip, tear and scrape. Gonna have to break down and WORK Randy!:eek:oooh::crazy::smile2:

5. Buckedup

Buckedup New Member

State:
    NC
    I read that you should wear some type of respirator or mask when sanding, the dust is not good to breath.

6. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Pull up the Carpet and scrape. The drill suggestion is good, but instead of the wire brush you might try some of the paper sanding wheels. If you've got an angle grinder, you can get a disk for it to remove paint. Just make sure you don't apply too much pressure or you'll be removing metal.

You could get some adhesive removers to spray on the glue, but you're going to have to remove the carpet first.

It may seem like a lot of work, but if you take the time to do it right, you will be very pleased with the outcome. The happiness of your end result is measured by how much effort you put into it.

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    NO NOT WORK!!!!!:eek:oooh: :smile2: Thanks Y'all, but I have found just what I need....... should be done with it in 2 hours flat...... Hate carpet in a boat anyway, it is so rotten that most of it comes out with the pressure washer :crazy: So the media has been doing a nice job..... Have nothing against WORK there Skip, just no need to waste alot of time on it :wink:

It is all aluminum so it is gonna need roughed up a bit for the spray liner to stick good :wink:

8. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    If you aren't afraid of looks, do like myself and just rip up the carpet and then scrape glue for about 15 minutes and then quit and decide the old glue will help prevent slipping on the decks. I get my boat too dirty to mess with carpet so it looks like crap but get's the job done anyways. :tounge_out:

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Randy and Seth....both you guys just need to get to work. Glue looks like crap. Get it off there and put on some tuff-coat or something.:wink:

A glue scraping party is in order. The job will suck but the end result will make you smile every time you step aboard.

I'm calling the boat abuse hotline if you two don't straighten up!:smile2:

10. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent

By gosh, I think your correct Seth....... Might even just leave a little of the old fiber in the mix, maybe like a boot brush :wink: :smile2: Besides, it will give the dog something to scratch her back on....... and give her extra traction in the boat...... :big_smile: