Carpenter Ants Info

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Salmonid, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey guys, anyone know of anything you can spray on live trees that have some carpenter ants activity on them? I have a bunch of trees around the house and I have trimmed and cut several of them down and found them all full of carpenter ants and so I just noticed when I whacked the bottom of my only catalpa tree, that the ants all came running out of the base,so I want to try to fixem real good if you know what Im saying. Catalpas are brittle to start with and if this one ever goes down, its gonna take a lot of fence with it so I want to stop these destructive fellers as soon as possible. Not too mention I want to save this tree for bait purposes....:crazy:
    Any ideas?

Salmonid l

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I use GRITS all the time for this problem......really works. Cheap too. Old exterminator trick.

Just sprinkle it out there during dry spells. After it has rained and dried up, then don't forget to treat again. :cool2:

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    What is GRITS?? Is it a pesticide? where do you get it, I was reading some stuff on the web and it appears that intact colonies within trees are a nightmare to get rid off.
    Thanks for the tip!
    Salmonid

4. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I eat 'em occasionally and I've yet to have an ant problem...:big_smile:

5. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    if your talking about GRITS the nasty breakfast food , forget that, up here in Ohio I think Cracker Barrell is the only place to find that, we Northerners dont eat that stuff....:lol: We are meat and Potatoes, Steak and Egg types around here!! I mean just look at Mellons "manly" physique and you can tell he is not the type who eats GRITS.....for breakfast

Salmonid

6. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    We used to have them so bad at our old house that we were forced to have an exterminator come monthly. He used a sticky glue looking stuff that he said they would come feed on and bring some back to the colony to inadvertenly kill off others. It kept them at bay for the most part. Occasionally when someone left a spill on the floor or something, they would find it. Wish I had better advice for you. Moving out of that house was one of the best thing I've ever done in my life. :lol: Good luck man.

7. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Now don't tell me you can't go to the grocery store and purchase a bag of GRITS up North. I don't buy that. I have a bag that I paid less than 2 dollars for and have used it for 2 years now.

When the ants eat it it swells inside them and blows them to smithereens. An exterminator told me this trick, due to all the forest trees I had in my yard at one time. After cutting 30 down, I still have about 12, so I still scatter the grits. They do build colonies inside of trees. The first cherry tree that was cut had 3 different colonies in it.

Grits may seem to be slow but in the end it works. :tounge_out: so there you go all you Northerners. LMAO.

8. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    Now ain't there two types of grits! One is like a cream of wheat type thing but only dry, maybe corn and the other is some type of nasty head meat from a pig or something that tastes like crap and smells your house up for a year.

9. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I always use ORTHENE and you can get it at your local Home depot or most hardware stores that carry insecticides. It cost about $10.00 for a big jar of it and it works real fast to.