Carp.

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by Trahviiz, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    So, I wanted to see everyones opinion on Carp here in Indy. Excluding for purpose of bait, does anyone like fishing of them or does everyone consider them trash fish?

Personally, they are my main target fish after the spring catfish run is over.

2. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I used to love wrestling them things when I was young... heck it would still be fun, I just don't fish with bait they like any more so I don't catch 'em gotta bunch of 'em in my creek though. I don't like eating fish but have heard some say they're good some say not.

3. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I love carp fishing. Not many fish in our waters pull as hard as they do. When I don't have the time to go somewhere and set up for catfish, you can usually find me spending about 45 minutes at various small retention ponds with a doughball or wheaty ball on the end of my line for a quick fishing fix:roll_eyes:

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i learned to fight big fish as a boy on carp. they are great fighters and feed readily. they are super great for getting kids hooked on fishing=(the kids at the lake doing battle)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2lYAD3ybdw

we dont eat them though because of their eating habits and toxins they ingest. if you could find a clean pond wit them they mite be a table fish.

5. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the vid. River Scum. I have the luxury of having the Eagle Creek run off about a minute walk from my back door. There's decent sized cats, and all the bluegill you could ever need, but the carp to other fish ratio is insane. On a good day you can sit there and catch carp all day long.

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    As you get off 465 at the speedway/clermont exit and head towards clermont (can't think of the road) I used to live in some apartments there on a lake a LONG time ago... then it was called "fishermans village"
    There is a creek that runs long side the road that leads up to those apartments that are FULL of HUGE carp... I used to sit on my 3rd floor balcony in my apartment and fish in that lake with dough balls for carp lol are you familiar with the area?

7. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Lol, no, I'm not. I'll have to get on Google Earth and check it out.

8. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    they aren't trash fish to me, but i wont ever target them without my bow. Fun to have, but i'll go for the 40 pound flattie or 60 pound blue. jmho tho

9. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    I understand about the big flatties and blues. However, I fish alone 99% of the time, and from bank 100% of the time. It's really hard for me to target those fish. And seeing in how I have a fantastic carp hole literally a minute or less walk out of my back door, they've become my main summer target.