Carp

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by JMarrs328, Jun 4, 2007.

1. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I've heard of using carp as cutbait before, but the carp i catch are all quite large. Will they still work fine if i cut them into 1-2 inch cubes and freeze them, or would it be better to use something else for cutbait? I have access to a lot of large carp, and if i could use them as cutbait and keep them frozen like that, i could spend a lot less time catching bait, and a lot more time fishing!!!:cool2:

2. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    Josh, make sure you check the state regulations before you use a new fish as bait. It is illegal to use carp as bait in Pennsylvania. Here's the link to the regs and an excerpt.

http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat/fishpub/summary/bait.html
    "BAITFISH includes all forms of minnows; suckers, chubs, fallfish, lampreys, eels between 6 and 8 inches in length; gizzard shad 8 inches or less; and all forms of darters, killifishes and stonecats (except those listed as threatened or endangered species). Legally taken gamefish may be used as bait. It is unlawful to use or possess goldfish, comets, koi, and common carp as baitfish while fishing."

3. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks for your concern, but i wouldn't be using them as "baitfish." The main reason they say that, is so that non-native species don't get spread to the rest of our water ways. If the carp is dead, and cut into chunks, i doubt it would be a problem.

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Carp uproot vegetation in bodies of water they live in. You should see what they have done in Australia annd New zealand. The Aussies absolutely hate them. Because of thier feeding habits and the destruction of vegetation, the water becomes murky and unclear. Small baitfish cant survive which hurts the rest of the ecosytem of the lake or river. Try seeing a lake or river that doesn't have carp in it, you'll see the difference.

I actually don't think the game warden will give you a problem using carp as cut-bait. they just don't want you to use them live because they are afraid you will spread the non-native species.

5. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Blacky: That's what i thought, i just was wondering if freezing the carp would negatively affect my bait. Most of the carp i catch are huge, and i just can't justify using a dozen chunks, and letting the rest go to waste.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    What a ridiculous regulation: You can use gamefish for bait but you can't use carp. :roll_eyes:

7. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Josh
    I don’t believe frozen cut bait is ever near as good as fresh caught cut bloody bait, also I believe in keeping a fish on ice if can’t keep alive in a bait bucket. Carp is an oily fish and thus one of the best for bait. Luck