Carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by 18lbflathead, Nov 18, 2006.

1. 18lbflathead

18lbflathead New Member

State:
    Ohio
    what is the best bait for carp?Thank you for your post.:roll_eyes:

2. UK_fisherman

UK_fisherman New Member

State:
    Kent, UK
    Hi mate

there is no 'best' bait for carp as such, different baits work on different waters.

It's all down to trial and error - have acouple of rods out with different baits on them.

A good starting selection would be- corn - worm- bread - trout pellet - luncheon meat (spam).

These all work and are proven carp catching baits.

It's just a case of trying a few and see what the carp in your waters take.

3. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Quaker quick oats is my favorite. Get a hanful dip it in the water, make a ball around a treble hook. I also carry a spray bottle with vanilla and soak the ball before casting it out.

4. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    any good pack bait will catch carp.but the best i have found is banana nut millit and soybean for the buffs

5. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i use corn and it works well, but carp will eat alot. and like peter said, theres no best bait for all carp, its differnt baits on differnt waters.

6. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Down on this part of the gmr i see a couple of guys using the following mix and slay them all night and day long

a small trbbile hook wheaties(generic from aldies),cornmeal and just enough water to mix it together

7. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Wheaties are my bread and butter.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    my grandma used wheaties with strawberry jello and my uncle made a dough from 1c flour,
    1c cornmeal
    1 Tgarlic powder
    !tsalt
    about 1/4Cmaplesyrup
    enough water to make like thick gravy then heat and stir till a ball is formed ,cool and go fish

9. chesapeakecarper

chesapeakecarper New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I use a dough bait combining canned sweet corn, karo syrup, anise extract, corn masa meal (tortilla fluor)...toughen it up with shredded wheat cereal if neded.

Soaked and flavored feed corn

Pack-type chum ball (Method) w/cracked corn and fish chow base

10. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I respectfully agree with all of your bait methods, except for spam. If you think youre gonna sit next to me and fish and take my spam to catch fish..... Well, I dont think I would let that happen!
    :haha:

Thats really good advice for anyone to catch carp, and maybe give me the spam! And maybe a good dough ball recipe, too!

Kenny

11. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I will take some of that spam good stuff:tounge_out:

12. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    a simple bait i used was cornbread. Go down to your local grocery store and buy one of those small boxes of cornbread mix. (Jiffy was what i used...cost less than a buck)
    make a pie pan batch or cupcake pan batch...eat half of it fresh out of the oven with some butter..YUM...

oh yeah, where was I...oh..bait..heh...

take whatever you dont eat, grab a half a handful and start crushing it in your hands. kept crushin and squeezing it until it gets to a consistency that you can take a hook and then squeeze a chunk of what you just made around the hook...forming a tear drop or ball shape.

Your ready to catch carp now. Doesn't work too well in bodies of water with current. I just chucked it out there with no weight...tightened up the slack a bit and opened the bail up...watchin for line movement.

cyas
    rc

13. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I was reading this and realized that carp really have sensitive mouths, so the question came. For the line tied directly to your rig, hair rig or whatever, what pound test do yall use? Mono or braided? I'm gonna go for some overgrown koi in my pond, I've seen em, go up to the 3 foot range, so what pound test "leader," if you will, should I use?

I've also wanted so badly to go to the local zoo and put a hook on one of those little fish foods you get out of the feeder for 25 cents, man the koi SWARM!!! But it doesn't look like that will happen, but its a great idea, haha.:roll_eyes:

14. UK_fisherman

UK_fisherman New Member

State:
    Kent, UK
    Hi StuFor the sort of size carp you are looking to fish for heres what I would use to do so:-

For braid I'd use something a 15 - 25lb test

Mono I'd use something like a Fluorocarbon of around 15 - 18lb

If you can see them and get them feeding on the surface why not try a lump of bread free lined on the top - in my mind one of the best and fun ways to catch them.
    As for the leader I'd use something like 25lb braid or 15- 18lb mono

15. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    I used light tackle with 6# test line and a relatively small treble hook, often. Other times i was using a med rod/reel with 10# test, with the same treble hook. Probably goes without mentioning, but drag was set LOOSE! :big_smile:

I was fishin in 2 different lakes that did not have a LOT of cover for gettin snagged up on though.

cyas
    rc

16. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Thanks, so the carp won't mind picking something up with 20 pound braided attached?

17. kscathntr

kscathntr New Member

State:
    Olathe, Ks
    they will actually suck the bait into their mouth-and hopefully get spooked bythe weight of the lead your using and hook themselves. that is why I only use hair-rigs.

18. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i have tried the hair rig and it did not improve my hook up rate not one bit.i use a double hook rig or single hook.the double rig is a 1oz. egg sinker above a 3 way swivle with 2 leaders with 2 size 6 bait holders hanging down, and the single is the same size sinker just with a single swivel and 1 size 6 hook.

19. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    You can buy fish food at your local farm store.
    The one here in town, Orschelns , even has a bulk setup where you can buy small amounts.

20. steelwolv

steelwolv New Member

State:
    ohio
    When carp fishing I always chum several areas with field corn, boiled for about an hour and let set out overnight. I usually chum 3 or 4 spots so that by time I get back to the first spot it has been there for about 30 minutes. Good luck