Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
381 - 396 of 396 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
I went to local lake near me this am, mostly to chill and enjoy my coffee before work and maybe do some fishing if I feel up to it. I ended up sitting in my car watching a group of guys setting up their carp fishing gear. They got the whole setup - rod holders with bait alarms,12 or 15 ft rods with method leads and large spinning reels. They were mixing some baits in a bucket, and I think they use some boilies too. Pretty cool to see all that. I wish I was closer to see the action, but I did not want to look like I was stalking them haha

Those long carp rods were very impressive. I swear their bait was flying for like 3 or 4 seconds before hitting the water, maybe 150 yards away (I will admit I am not good at estimating distance)? I am a pretty decent with my 9 footer but these guys casting distance were way further than what I can do. I could spent another hour watching what they did, but I had to go to work. They have not caught anything when I left.
Go up and talk to em next time lol! Almost every carper I have walked up to has been more than willing to chew the cud with me. There is so few of us that do it seriously I allways look forward to the next conversation bankside with someone who shares the passion of chasing monster carp! Another note, the margins are often just as if not more productive as 100 or so yards out... don't let the fancy $500 casting machine of a rod fool ya lol.

·
Premium Member
11,796 Posts
You don't have to have that carp specific gear to catch carp. The most important part of any fishing rig in at the last few inches of line. The bait and the hook. Carp can be a real hoot but need to be taken care of just like catfish do. Those that have not tried it should give it a try. There are special bait feeders for carp but a reel with a clicker will work just fine. Do a little research and you can easily make your own bait. Some whole kernel sweet corn works just fine with a small #4 hook. They generally suck in the bait, feel the hook and take off, setting the hook themselves. They have a soft mouth so if you set the hook, do it softly. Then measure them, take a photo and release them to fight another day.

Great pass time when the cats are spawning. Also a great time for your kids. Good for teaching, good for learning and good for fun.

tight lines.

·
Registered
KY, USA
190 Posts
You don't have to have that carp specific gear to catch carp. The most important part of any fishing rig in at the last few inches of line. The bait and the hook. Carp can be a real hoot but need to be taken care of just like catfish do. Those that have not tried it should give it a try. There are special bait feeders for carp but a reel with a clicker will work just fine. Do a little research and you can easily make your own bait. Some whole kernel sweet corn works just fine with a small #4 hook. They generally suck in the bait, feel the hook and take off, setting the hook themselves. They have a soft mouth so if you set the hook, do it softly. Then measure them, take a photo and release them to fight another day.

Great pass time when the cats are spawning. Also a great time for your kids. Good for teaching, good for learning and good for fun.

tight lines.
Yep, I am using the same gear as my catfish setup except I am using smaller hooks. My favorite hooks with canned corn is Mustad wide gap hook size 8. It seems to work better than others, I am guessing due to that wide gap and its shape.

Carp is definitely lots of fun. It is cheap and convenient too since we use canned corn. I always have several cans in my car so we can just go whenever. This spring has been good for us, my son and I have caught several in the ~5 lbs range and many smaller ones. I even hooked one using my dock runner the other day, it was not that big, maybe 3 lbs or so, but that was a real fight haha.

I am hoping I can catch one of the larger ones. I have seen ones that probably in 10-15 lbs range.

·
Registered
KY, USA
190 Posts
I use Kentucky rig with 2 or 3 hooks for carping, I just put all hooks on the bottom, and it works good.
Same here. I use Kentucky rig for both cats and carp fishing, the difference is just the hook size.

There is a shallow area in the lake that I usually go to where I have seen lots of fish activities, but I also know there are a lot of snags. I am going to try using zero rig in this place, hopefully I have better luck with the snags and land something.

·
Registered
Don from Glendale Arizona
4,966 Posts
Got carp-skunked on Tuesday, and I don't like it one bit. Had a few runs and lost hook-ups, but nothing was landed, 'cept a couple of bullheads, a tilapia, and a yellow bass. Maybe I'm just spoiled.

·
Registered
KY, USA
190 Posts
I have not caught any carp lately, I think the last one probably in April or early May. I do not go fishing like every week, just here and there a few hour at a time but seems like the bite is much slower once the water is a bit warmer.

How is everyone's luck this summer? Someone was telling me that I should go fishing like right after it rain, the bite supposed to be better. I may try that.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Someone was telling me that I should go fishing like right after it rain, the bite supposed to be better. I may try that.
LOL! If I waited for that I'd never be fishing!! Bite has slowed this year in my favorite spot too. And what used to produce mirrors on a regular basis hasn't given up a singe one this year so far.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts

Got this one last nite in about 5 feet of water, one of 5 just like him. Darkest carp I've ever seen. Thought for a second it might be a crucian. This summer I've been fishing a lot shallower water and the temps have been real high, so that's probably why I finally ran into these guys.
Did a bit more research on this one and I'm leaning towards calling it an F1 or some kind of goldfish hybrid, mainly because it appeared to have only one set of barbels, and also because there's LOTS of goldfish in the lake. A few other folks I know are catching them too and they're saying the same thing.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Got 5 grassies out of the canal last night. Extremely fun on ultralite tackle. Chummed the area with 12% sweet feed, and caught them on canned corn. Even got 3 nice channels in between.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I'm getting more than a little concerned about my favorite carp hole. Got 5 of these little buggers and only two carp Tuesday nite. And I haven't got a mirror in over a year...whereas mirrors used to be 50% of what I get out of there. The city dumped a million of these (2-inchers) into the lake a few years ago to control a fly problem, but I'm now getting the impression that the goldfish are seriously negatively impacting my carping. Probably most other species too. The city did get it right as far as the fly problem though. There hasn't been a problematic midgefly hatch since the goldies were introduced. Wish they'd have put in more carp though instead of the goldies. Budgetary reasons I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
I did some carp fishing yesterday in the spillway below the dam at a lake that is overrun with carp. Caught 6 in about 90 minutes along with a rainbow trout. Only 1 carp was good size. Plan on using a few of them next week for cut bait when I go chase some blues.

381 - 396 of 396 Posts