Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
361 - 380 of 396 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,796 Posts
I am a little curious about your new spot. Don't want to know where it is and it wouldn't help me anyway since I am a good ways south. But do you see others fishing that area or does it seem to be just you fishing it. It sure seems to have some nice carp in it so we will be expecting more.

tight lines

·
Registered
585 Posts
I proded the locals a but more this time, the spot I mainly fish is the obvious spot for carp (features, bay like, wind sheltered... if you showed any carper worth their salt the general area on a map they would pick the exact spot im always fishing. ) one guy I talked to says he sees 2 to 3 carpers every 2 weeks to a month and that 24-48 hour sessions are not rare. A nice little spot that a few people know of and take care of it seems. I have got very lucky with the average size of my fish. Most of the time one would need to weed through alot of high teens and low 20s to get a high 20 and 30s can take years to get but i have had a 27,28, 3 29s, and a 35. Awesome spot when they are on the feed. Should note I had a 17 hour period with not so much as a nibble before the flurry of action however. I did a 23h session and only had fish in the area for 6 hours of it.

·
Registered
KY, USA
190 Posts
Got another PB. On fire at this spot. 35lbs 12oz caught on a size 4 blowback bolt rig. Hookbait was a double stack of fake corn with a panko oat based tuti fruti flavored packbait. Felt like I was wrapped in a log but nope, just turns out I couldn't move him lol. First 30 and smashed my old pb by over 6lbs. (Bottom fish was in the retention sling as the top one hit so not a true double but one heck of a picture... 29lb 5oz next to a 35 12)
No kidding, you are on fire!! Glad to see someone is catching big carp.

This is encouraging for me. I been trying to get this one carp that looks very big to us (or maybe there are several of them at this size, I dunno). We have seen it on several occasion swimming near the surface in the morning. My son said it is a whale lol

·
Registered
585 Posts
No kidding, you are on fire!! Glad to see someone is catching big carp.

This is encouraging for me. I been trying to get this one carp that looks very big to us (or maybe there are several of them at this size, I dunno). We have seen it on several occasion swimming near the surface in the morning. My son said it is a whale lol
Have you tried prebaiting the spot? Makes a huge difference! I didn't with this one but whenever I try for grass carp I always do. It can be the difference between a complete fail or a success. I like to use boiled feed corn when prebaiting personally

·
Registered
Don from Glendale Arizona
4,966 Posts
Well, my last carpin trip had a daytime high of 96 degrees (last week :giggle:). My next one Tuesday I'm looking at a cloudy scorching high of 63. I'm not too optimistic but hey...I gotta go fishin.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Life kinda punched me in the mouth a few months ago, and I haven't wet a single line since. Surgeries, death in the family, etc etc. But full fledge retirement is just a couple more months away and Im dang sure going to catch up. Need my carpin fix BAD....

·
Registered
KY, USA
190 Posts
When do you all start fishing for carp again? I went to the small local pond yesterday, and managed to catch a small trout, which got me thinking that maybe I should try to fish for carp. It will be in the 50s here soon hopefully.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Carp gotta eat, even when the water's cold, albeit slower and less often. As long as there's not ice on the water, I'm always game. I'm pretty lucky here...I'm able to go carping 365 without worrying about weather..

·
Registered
585 Posts
I fish for carp all year long here in Northern IL. Feb and March are without doubt the toughest months but carp can be caught all year round as long as you put the time in and pick appropriate spots and tactics. I have had 2 carp so far this month... when the ice melts the carp start biting.

·
Registered
KY, USA
190 Posts
Finally got our first carp of 2021 yesterday. It was maybe 2-3 lbs. We been fishing for small trout using canned corn so my son was expecting another small trout. This one definitely has a lot more pulling power than a little trout lol. We caught two cats as well. Not bad at all for a 2 hr of work!

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Got 7 yesterday evening/night, ranging from 3 to 7 lbs from Tempe Towne Lake. Used my new SlimeCat striper spinning rod and had a blast. Strange thing though...not a single mirror in the bunch. TTL has a rep for being a great mirror fishery, but not this time.

·
Registered
KY, USA
190 Posts
I went to local lake near me this am, mostly to chill and enjoy my coffee before work and maybe do some fishing if I feel up to it. I ended up sitting in my car watching a group of guys setting up their carp fishing gear. They got the whole setup - rod holders with bait alarms,12 or 15 ft rods with method leads and large spinning reels. They were mixing some baits in a bucket, and I think they use some boilies too. Pretty cool to see all that. I wish I was closer to see the action, but I did not want to look like I was stalking them haha

Those long carp rods were very impressive. I swear their bait was flying for like 3 or 4 seconds before hitting the water, maybe 150 yards away (I will admit I am not good at estimating distance)? I am a pretty decent with my 9 footer but these guys casting distance were way further than what I can do. I could spent another hour watching what they did, but I had to go to work. They have not caught anything when I left.

361 - 380 of 396 Posts