Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 396 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,794 Posts
Hey Matt, good for you. Let's hear some details. Bait used, Method feeder or not. bait runner reel or bait caster with clicker on. River, creek or reservoir?

If the water ever gets down I will be chasing some carp over here. lots of fun to catch. Also on the right day, a small carp can make some good catfish cut bait.

Nice pic.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Matt, good for you. Let's hear some details. Bait used, Method feeder or not. bait runner reel or bait caster with clicker on. River, creek or reservoir?

If the water ever gets down I will be chasing some carp over here. lots of fun to catch. Also on the right day, a small carp can make some good catfish cut bait.

Nice pic.
Just spinner reels Tom. I was using nightcrawlers on one pole and garlic seasoned raw shrimp on the other. Both were getting bites but I was using 8/0 circle hooks and only managed one on a nightcrawler. IN CONCLUSION, RESULTS WERE SATISFYING TO SAY THE LEAST.

G

·
Nice bag of bait there Matt. I'm on a bait hunt right now and tried some big grubs from the garden for nought. Bad area though.

Have the 10 foot King Kat for tossing my Deeper Smart fish finder and tossing heavy rigs. Reliable rod so far.

Jim

·
Registered
889 Posts
We used to catch bullheads and chubs without hooks when i was little, just fling em up out of the water and on shore

8/0 is really really big for carp though. Try a #4 baitholder. I used to use #6 with dough baits and caught carp up to 35lbs with no problem, rarely missed one and never really lost any. I would use #4 for worms though since they will take up more hook and won’t break when you set the hook.

don’t rule out a big ball of red wigglers or 5-10 waxworms, or even 20 or so maggots (spikes). Those are all really good carp baits i would fish all of those on a #6 hook though.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I use either #2 or#4 Gamakatsu circles for carp, baiting the hook directly (as opposed to a hair rig). Those small Gamakatsus will usually get bent out after a few good sized carp though. Thy always hook nicely in the lip though.

Well, Matt, at least with an 8/0, you probably don't have to worry about gut hooking Mr. Carp. Maybe I should try some bigger hooks. ;)

p.s. - nice fish.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I use either #2 or#4 Gamakatsu circles for carp, baiting the hook directly (as opposed to a hair rig). Those small Gamakatsus will usually get bent out after a few good sized carp though. Thy always hook nicely in the lip though.

Well, Matt, at least with an 8/0, you probably don't have to worry about gut hooking Mr. Carp. Maybe I should try some bigger hooks. ;)

p.s. - nice fish.
Thanks. I wasn't actually going for carp. I was hoping to catch some channels. I have some smaller hooks I left at home I wish I had. I was getting bite after bite but those hooks were definitely too big.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Well I'm about done with trout for the season, scored me a couple limits so it's time to move on.

Will prob chase saugers and white bass for awhile and then get into carp and catfish for the bulk of the summer and fall.

I don't bass fish anymore since I don't have a boat. I tell people that and they always tell me "you can fish for bass from the shore". To which I always say, "If I did that, I might as well just walk up the water and throw a 10 dollar bill in it and go home".

Looking forward to carping again this year, always fun.

1 - 20 of 396 Posts