Carp

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by cattracker13, Dec 6, 2009.

1. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I have noticed several people talk about using carp for bait. Is carp a good catfish bait..

2. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    I've not used em...yet, I have a pretty good supply of Skips. I hear from a lot of folks that it works pretty well though.

3. dthrasher

dthrasher New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't have a clue, but if you find out please let me know. As many carp as we catch that would be alot of bait.:smile2:

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    works for me ..if i can get em small enough

5. dthrasher

dthrasher New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Jeffro, how do you cut them up?:tounge_out:

6. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    liek me 4-6 inches long and live....if i cut em..i just cut em... if the fish is that picky on his cut of meat then he can go get his own elsewhere lol

7. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use skipjacks mostly as I can get my hands on them more easily.

8. festus

festus New Member

I can't find carp small enough for bait. If I catch one it's usually at least 8 pounds or bigger. But I've always heard that cut carp is a good catfish bait.

How big a catfish would it take to swallow an 8 lb carp? :crazy:

And talk about buffalo fish, I don't think I've ever seen one of those less than 15 pounds. :embarassed:

9. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    festus I caught a 38 pound blue a few years ago. He had a fish tail sticking about 4 inches out of his mouth when I got that 6 pound blue out of him he weighed 32 pounds so you are looking at at least a 35 pounder to swallow that 8 pound carp. now just consider how much bait you are going to have to bait a 50 hook trot line. LOL What size boat You gona need to haul your fish in.

10. ibmeubu

ibmeubu New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    We used to go out in the back water near J-ville ,on the reserve It has been so long ,I can't remember what time of the year. I will ask my daddy and get back with you . We used a sain to catch them. 2 to 5 in long . We used them when we commercial fished. It's like always just what ever they are biting.